CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76936)

Russell Greene 07-28-2012 05:41 PM

Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
CrossFitters,

I have some important news for you. Anthos Capital wants to take control of the CrossFit affiliate system. Anthos is offering $20 million to a non-managing equity partner of CrossFit Inc. in order to establish a managing stake in the company. This is important because Anthos does not view CrossFit affiliates the way we all do. Anthos doesn't care about professional trainers improving people's lives; they see CrossFit affiliates as a mechanism to sell more supplements and equipment.

If they succeed, Anthos's first step will be to force all CrossFit affiliates to morph from professional training facilities into supplement and equipment peddlers. In that case, affiliates will lose the right to choose between an array of competing brands such as Rogue, Again Faster, SFH, and Pure Pharma. Affiliates will be forced to sell the Anthos company's endorsed line of products.

If Anthos gains control of CrossFit, then the CrossFit affiliate system will cease to exist as we know it. Affiliates will no longer pay a minimal licensing fee and manage their own CrossFit gyms as they see fit. Instead, they will report to a domineering bureaucracy that seeks to extract maximal profit from them while micro-managing every significant facet of their business. CrossFit facilities will be run like your neighborhood McDonald's or Gold's Gym.

CrossFit affiliates signed up to provide a revolutionary service for improving people's lives. CrossFit founder Greg Glassman's original vision is stronger today than ever: a network of CrossFit affiliates making peoples' lives better through constantly varied, functional movement at high intensity and teaching them to eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. If Anthos takes over, however, this vision of CrossFit will end. CrossFit affiliates will become part of an organization that is the antithesis of what they believe in.

All this probably sounds a little scary, but the CrossFit community can stop this. CrossFit affiliates have the power here. If CrossFit's affiliates oppose Anthos' actions, then Anthos will never be able to gain control of the community - it doesn't matter how much money they have. And Greg Glassman is 100% committed to keeping CrossFit true to its covenant with affiliates.

If you want to stop Anthos from ruining CrossFit, tell your friends and the CrossFit Affiliate owners you know exactly what Anthos is up to. Make a blog post on your Affiliate's site, post to Facebook, Tweet about it, do whatever it is you like to do to get the word out. Let's let the world know how we feel about Anthos trying to turn CrossFit affiliates into Globo Gyms.

As Greg says, "Never sell out."

Brian Strump 07-28-2012 06:19 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
I'm confused here.....Who's choice is this whether this happens or not? The way your post sounds, it seems like the affiliates have a say in this? If that's so, why would they choice to do this?

Russell Greene 07-28-2012 06:29 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Strump (Post 1081710)
I'm confused here.....Who's choice is this whether this happens or not? The way your post sounds, it seems like the affiliates have a say in this? If that's so, why would they choice to do this?

Brian,

If CrossFit affiliates are vocal in their disapproval of Anthos' plan, that will make their "investment" seem like a much worse decision.

Also, it is my belief that CrossFit affiliates are far too committed to making people's lives better to support this plan. Even if Anthos manages to force their way in, they'll find a CrossFit affiliate community entirely unwilling to cooperate with them.

Steve Rakow 07-28-2012 06:32 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
I agree with Brian, who/what is Anthos and what power could they possibly have to take over the affiliate system?

Steve Rakow 07-28-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Why don't you "out" the non-managing, equity partner who, from your post, seems to be in bed with this equity firm? I have an idea who it might be, but no idea why this person would want to destroy the system -- other than for mere greed and to hurt Greg.

Brian Strump 07-28-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Still sounds fishy. In the post you made, you urged members of affiliates to go onto the affiliate website and facebook to complain, WHY wouldn't you post this on the affiliates pages if they do have some say it what you're talking about?
If they "take over" and I don't cooperate, wouldn't we, as an affiliate be forced to cooperate?

Personally, if a company were to force me to run my business anyway other than our current agreement, within reason; I would just drop the CrossFit name, and continue with business as usual.

Edit: Just read the post in the affiliate page. Thanks.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Greene (Post 1081717)
Brian,

If CrossFit affiliates are vocal in their disapproval of Anthos' plan, that will make their "investment" seem like a much worse decision.

Also, it is my belief that CrossFit affiliates are far too committed to making people's lives better to support this plan. Even if Anthos manages to force their way in, they'll find a CrossFit affiliate community entirely unwilling to cooperate with them.


Russell Berger 07-28-2012 06:58 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Strump (Post 1081725)
Still sounds fishy. In the post you made, you urged members of affiliates to go onto the affiliate website and facebook to complain, WHY wouldn't you post this on the affiliates pages if they do have some say it what you're talking about?
If they "take over" and I don't cooperate, wouldn't we, as an affiliate be forced to cooperate?

Personally, if a company were to force me to run my business anyway other than our current agreement, within reason; I would just drop the CrossFit name, and continue with business as usual.


Brain,
I've already posted on the Affiliate board on the same topic.

I agree with you. I think almost every Affiliate would just de-affiliate and walk away from "new ownership" looking to turn Affiliates into a globo-gyms. That's exactly what we are saying we would want you to do. Greg Glassman is fighting this with everything we have, but this is still a serious threat by a bunch of money-hungry VC types with law degrees. They are looking at you and all the other Affiliates like an untapped resource, not an independent business that will give them the middle finger if they win control. We both know what will really happen and the goal is to show them it's not going to be worth it for them.

Steve Liberati 07-28-2012 07:03 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rakow (Post 1081724)
Why don't you "out" the non-managing, equity partner who, from your post, seems to be in bed with this equity firm? I have an idea who it might be, but no idea why this person would want to destroy the system -- other than for mere greed and to hurt Greg.

Ex-wives can be very revengeful.

Brian Strump 07-28-2012 07:03 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Thanks Russell. I just saw that. I've emailed them letting them know that at least 1 affiliate will not allow them any control over what we do.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Berger (Post 1081728)
Brain,
I've already posted on the Affiliate board on the same topic.

I agree with you. I think almost every Affiliate would just de-affiliate and walk away from "new ownership" looking to turn Affiliates into a globo-gyms. That's exactly what we are saying we would want you to do. Greg Glassman is fighting this with everything we have, but this is still a serious threat by a bunch of money-hungry VC types with law degrees. They are looking at you and all the other Affiliates like an untapped resource, not an independent business that will give them the middle finger if they win control. We both know what will really happen and the goal is to show them it's not going to be worth it for them.


Ben Norris 07-28-2012 07:10 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Correct me if I am wrong but if Greg Glassman owns Crossfit (does Crossfit have a board of Directors?) surely him or the board would simply knock back any offer made by this company? Assuming that Glassman and the board deny all takeover bids then this company would be powerless to take over Crossfit and as such take over the affilitates?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.