CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   El Capitan's Crossfit Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57890)

Joe C Thomas 05-27-2010 11:26 AM

Re: El Capitan's Crossfit Log

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas (Post 788861)
26 May 10

I had a rushed workout today and basically did ME for my legs. I did OK, but I'm nowhere near my PR.

5 x 3 Deadlifts - 185, 225, 285, 285, 295 (The first one in each set was really hard but the next two weren't as bad!:shrug:

5 x 5 Squats - 185, 195, 205, 225, 235 (The last set I did was actually 3 box squats, and those were tough, my knee was pretty achey so I decided to finish there)

My back is now really tight and sore, I need to stretch. I was thinking Fran today but we'll have to see how tight I still am. I'm thinking I'll go for it anyways!

Actually this was on the 25th of May.

Joe C Thomas 05-27-2010 06:52 PM

27 May 10

1 hour of 3 on 3 Basketball. FUN!

15 min in the sauna, to try and loosen up my back.

30 min of swimming laps. I did a few 100 m freestyle, some 50 m breast repeats, and some pulling drills, and some kick drills. Probably half mile over all.

Nice, Rest Day??

Joe C Thomas 06-01-2010 06:43 PM

Sorry, I did a 4 mile run in 37:30 on Saturday, then played a lot of beach volleyball. Went for a 6 mile bike ride on Sunday, and a 15 mile ride on Monday.

Memorial Day weekend! Did a lot of 12 oz curls!!!!!

01 June 10

5 min on the C2. I hit 500 m in 1:50 (PR)!

Push Press, 5 x 5 - 135, 155, 155, 165, 165
I need to work on my core, I can feel everything in my back!

Deadhang Pullups with 5 sec negatives, 4 x 3, changed hand postition every set

7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Knees to elbows

Incline Bench, 5 x 5, 185, pretty tough but felt good.

Joe C Thomas 06-03-2010 07:11 AM

02 June 10

I played 2 hours of streetball today! Probably the most intense basketball I've played since knee surgery and man did I pay for it last night! Concrete is not good for sore joints. And my back has been a little sore and it freakin kills now. UGH, I hate getting old!

Joe C Thomas 06-07-2010 08:09 AM

03 June 10

SAME Golf Tournament. I played 18 holes today, and sweated my arse off! I got a lot of good walking in trying to find my ball!

04 June 10

I decided to take the day off because I had a PT test on Saturday.

05 June 10

AM
My first AF PT test! What a joke! I was pretty nervous about the form standards on pushups but it was very lax! Here's how I did:

1 min of Pushups - 70 reps (Go down until upper arm is parallel with the ground, same as Army)
1 min of Situps - 60 reps (haha, basically crunches, arms crossed on chest and you have to touch elbows to knees at the top and shoulder blades to the ground at bottom)
1.5 mile run - 10:42 (I missed my goal by over a minute, but it was about 90 degrees and 85% humidity. I was slow as crap but shouldn't be had to get back where I should be.)

PM
I went to the Base gym which is awesome, and has a great room for crossfit. I worked on some boxing. 3 rounds of 2 min on the speed bag, and 3 rounds of 2 min on the B.O.B. (that creepy punching bag that looks like a dude). It's an awesome tool to practice accuracy. Accuracy is so important in fighting, and it's great to see that I'm still better than most at it.

After that I played basketball for an hour and stunk up the court! I definitely need to start pacing myself on the court. I've played more in the past few weeks than I have in a year and it's starting to show. I'm slow off the dribble, short on my jumpers, just dragging a bit. I'll be better next time.

06 June 10

I had drill all day, then drove home. I could definitely tell I have been eating like crap and not getting enough rest. I was exhausted all day.

Mike Rawlinson 06-07-2010 09:54 AM

Nice work on your AF PT test Joe. Sounds like some good results there - you must've blasted through the push ups.

With regard to your back problems, have you tried some glute activation work in your warm up? If you're feeling your lower back in things like a push press it could be that you're not creating a stable base to drive through your hips. Either that or you're lifting too heavy and arching your back way over :)

Joe C Thomas 06-08-2010 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Rawlinson (Post 793820)
Nice work on your AF PT test Joe. Sounds like some good results there - you must've blasted through the push ups.

With regard to your back problems, have you tried some glute activation work in your warm up? If you're feeling your lower back in things like a push press it could be that you're not creating a stable base to drive through your hips. Either that or you're lifting too heavy and arching your back way over :)

Thanks man. I'll work on my posterior chain alot more. I think the problem starts with my deads. I think I went too heavy and my form suffered, but I just pushed through. I've heard box squats will help with hamstring and glute strength and stabilization. I'm gonna drop weight, concentrate on form and progress slowly.

Joe C Thomas 06-08-2010 06:01 AM

GOALS

Here's what I manged to accomplish, and here's where I fell short.

1 Month

Complete 24 CF WODs and 14 CFE WODs. (I only got 12 CF WODs, 3 CFE WODs, 11 Sports/Race Days, and 7 Lazy days! :ranting2: )
10 Dead Hang Pull ups (I can do 7, so close!)
15 Kipping Pull ups (Good to go!!!!)
Run 9 min/1.5 miles for Air Force PFT (I ran a 10:30 but it was an awful run day)
Get to 195 lbs (I'm floating between 195 to 202, so goal accomplished?)
Get an unsupported handstand (Can stay up for 15 sec, I call that pretty good)

3 Months

300 lbs back squat (295 lbs, 300 is in the bag)
350 lbs deadlift (315 lbs I'm going to work this one a lot harder)
Complete Fran RX'd in under 10 min (8:14, I need to raise the bar a little)
Run 5k under 21 min (Still around 24 min, need a lot of work)
Get a Muscle Up (Still sucks!)
Get a Lsit to Handstand on bars (No improvement, mainly because I haven't practiced)

*Bonus Goal* Dunk on a 10' goal. (I'm getting really close. Need a couple more inches and some technique work, but this one's going down!)

Joe C Thomas 06-08-2010 06:06 AM

New Goals

1 Month

Complete 24 WODs, CF or CFE. (17 WODs last month)
10 Dead Hang Pull ups (7)
20 Kipping Pull ups (15)
Run 9 min/1.5 miles for Air Force PFT (10:42 min)
Get to 195 lbs (200)

2 Months (3 month goals from last time, just updated)

300 lbs back squat (295 lbs)
350 lbs deadlift (315 lbs)
Complete Fran RX'd in under 7 min (8:15)
Run 5k under 21 min (Last 5k was 24:30)
Get a Muscle Up (Need to practice)
Get a Lsit to Handstand on bars (Need to practice)

*Bonus Goal* Dunk on a 10' goal. (I will dominate you!)

Here we go!:pepper:

Joe C Thomas 06-09-2010 06:50 AM

8 Jun 10

I decided to make up my own WOD today. It was pretty fun.

Warm Up
5 min on C2 (great warm up, BTW)
3 x 3 Bench - 185, 205, 205 (my chest felt really sore, so I did 3 reps)
3 x 5 Front Squat - 135 (pretty tough, but just wanted to concentrate on form)
3 x 5 SDHP - 135 (I freakin tossed the weight like it was nothing off the ground. The negative was harder, but the power generation was pretty good!)

WOD
3 rds of
1 min - Heavy Bag - Punching Focus
1 min - Push ups - 20 normal and 10 on knuckles
1 min - Heavy Bag - Kick Focus
1 min - Crunches - 30
1 min - Heavy Bag - Push drill (constant striking, dirty boxing, elbows, knees, whatever)
1 min - Rest

Cool Down
Practiced Handstands, did 1 minute cumlative

Pretty fun workout, felt pretty smoked afterward