CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (
-   Community (
-   -   Sticky Threads with Popular Links (

Graham Tidey 02-20-2005 11:09 AM

Hi everyone, I was thinking..

On some message boards there are "sticky topics", topics locked to the top of the page that either can't be edited or can be but never move from the top.

The exercises area would be especially good for this. I was thinking of a topic with this kind of content:

Gymnastic Planches:
Ross's Bodyweight Routines:

Proper Squat Form:
The Pullup:

Weight Vs Blah:
Beneficial Exercises:

We all have tons of links to share. Reading this board I occasionally come across a link which is exactly what I was looking for, but it's only ever by chance that someone posts it. This way people can contribute all of their favourite links on topics as specific or general as they want.

If we all chip in I'm sure we can sort out headings such as Bodyweight, O-Lifting, Gymnastics, or whatever, and then fill them in.

What do you guys think? I'm sure we can come up with enough headings and links by having everyone chip in what they have and make it a really useful resource.

Paul Theodorescu 02-20-2005 11:19 AM

Hope this helps. (Not organized yet)

Health, Fitness & Training

Extropy and the Extropians (human improvement and longevity) ---see principles 3.11 tropy- chat

Pose Method of Running ef=sr_1_1/102-2913096-4553743?v=glance&s=books

Gymnastics Floor Move exercises

Better Humans search ,Longevity

Evolution and Aging

Evolution and Sleep

Non Aging in animals

CR Society

CR Support Group Forum

Atkins Center

Native Nutrition Forums

Weston Price Website

The Omnivore (seems similar to Fallon & Enig)

Paleolithic Research - This is the support site for Prof. Cordain’s book The Paleo Diet, but that is just the beginning. It is also an online archive of all of Loren Cordain’s research articles. Ever wonder if it is thermodynamically possible for hunter gatherers to subsist exclusively on a plant based diet? Prof Cordain builds a pretty tight case that they can not:

This answers many questions about what our diet was in the past and what it should be today.
Crossfit recommends a daily caloric intake of ~ 3800 kcal for a 170lb man. Another paper suggests that this caloric intake/activity expenditure is optimal from an evolutionary biology perspective:

Incredible one-stop shopping for paleodiet information

Mendosa (Diabetes)

Exercise videos ts_Exercises.htm

Christian Finn’s Facts about Fitness

Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies

Ray Peat

Food DataBases

Stretching Info

Pavel Tsatsouline related site (with forum):

Nutrition Libraries

Anti-Aging Stuff

Animal Fat and Cancer

Exercise Myth

Pavel Tsatsouline’s Newsletter:

Power athletes magazine (girevik):

Exercise pictures for technique ts_Exercises.htm#top

Sprinting-Charlie Francis’ Site

WestSide Powerlifting

Paleo diets (beyond veg)

Olympic Lifting

Olympic Lifting Articles (complex)

Dan John’s Olympic Lifting Site

Snatch Articles;jsessionid=F67D7F22E84C0A008A2B06FB32FD1A83.ba13? id=482671
Fred Hatfield Articles

Back Posture

Jon Barron’s Alternative Medicine—See newsletter archives

Paul Chek’s weightlifting/injury prevention site—balance training

Dan John’s Get-Up Newsletter

Powerlifting, Squatting and more

CrossFit (Non-specialized training)

CrossFit Board+Exercise technique videos

Interval Training

Gymnatics Conditioning

Runner’s World

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

Low Carb Research

Old School Training Forum

Running, Cycling, Rowing, Endurance

Rock Climbing

Stretching by Brad Appleton

Dinosaur Training (odd object lifting)

Stretching for Runners

Hypertrophy Specific Training

Training for the busy guy by Dan John article

Article on post-workout carbs

Dumbbell Complexes

Malnutrition and Starvation,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26946--,00.html

Energy Expenditure and Exercise

Russian Weightlifting (includes article to BHN push jerking--joke)

Evolution and Health

A great all-around site. I like the integrated evolutionary approach that he takes towards all aspects of fitness, health and environment. He provides great references (Cordain, Audette, de Vany, etc.) for the most part, but, with no description of or reference to O-lifting and gymnastics, I feel he falls a little short in the exercise department.

Evolutionary Fitness

Power Athletes Mag

This site has a lot to offer – kettlebells, gymnastic maneuvers and tips, some talk about diet and frequent interviews with training experts. A little more attention to O-lifting would help round out this site’s focus.

Evolution and playfulness in training

This site’s Panorama, Idea and Games sections are outstanding. Reading through the first two sections of this well-designed site really helps to illustrate and tie together some evolutionary notions that have been covered individually on the Crossfit message board. There are also some good articles. One of the main ideas of this site is that exercise should be primal, playful and practical. Their emphasis on enjoyment is a real aid to people like me who often fall into the trap of pushing 110% all the time. The games look amusing. The exercises, with no mention of gymnastics, O-lifting or powerlifting, were, I thought, pathetic (even Kieth, from evfit, AT LEAST does deadlifting and squats).

Strength and Fitness

Thomas Kurz on Stretching

Zone Perfect Dieting Resource

The finest website I’ve found for anyone serious about maintaining the Zone eating habits. The website is free and provides recipes for a variety of Zone meals. All you have to do is choose block size, main ingredients, and whether you want a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or side dish. The recipe archive has a variety of meals, complete with cooking directions. Nothing could be easier.

Low Carb Research

Mr. Yelon has done the public a great service in compiling published medical research on reduced carbohydrate consumption. His summaries are the best English translations of medical jargon we’ve seen.

Cyclical Ketogenic Diets

A fairly new site, but it has all your “one stop” shopping for the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (zero carbs for several days*up to six, one or two day carb up). The forum can be simplistic, but you can gather the basic CKD concepts there in about ten minutes.

Purchasing a quality bed s c&cmReferrer=

Purchasing a Blending machine

Genes and Physical Activity

Anti-Salt Debunked

Evolution and Aging

Coach Davies and Renegade (Fitness) Training

Bench Pressing Myths

Wrists in benchpressing

Ravnskov and Cholesterol Myths:

Grip Training

Sleep (and Chronobiology)

Training Recovery

Sprinting Information Btechnique%2Bball%2Bstrike

Sprint training articles

Joe De Franco Training Articles

Joe De Franco Training Routines

Supertraining Files

Mel Siff Archive

Puzzles and Paradoxes by Mel Siff (very good)

Endurance training articles

Kettlebell FAQ with Tsatsouline on dragondoor

Sport Specific Articles (good)

Improving Posture and Removing Tension

Mike Minium 02-20-2005 11:23 AM

Moved to Community...

Lynne Pitts 02-20-2005 11:45 AM

Graham, great idea, but the forum software has no provision for "stickies." One of its many charms... ;^(

Paul, phenomenal resource - thanks!

Robert Wolf 02-20-2005 02:01 PM

You should NOT hae done that!!! I need to sleep sometime! Great rescources!

Graham Tidey 02-20-2005 02:15 PM

Paul, thanks for sharing that. I like the "not organised" part especially!

Lynne - nuts. But could we make it a page like the crossfit FAQ instead? We could use this topic if we give it a bit of a mention in the forum and then use what people have submitted as the content for the external page.

Or we could just put this here, bump it occasionally and let people search for it when it finally disapeers. (spelling?)

Pat Janes 02-20-2005 06:15 PM

Ditto, Robb's comment.

My wife already complains about how much time I spend either trying to improve my health and fitness or reading about it.

Beth Moscov 02-20-2005 06:41 PM

Perfect timing Paul! Husband's away for the weekend and it is supposed to rain right through the week. And I finished my current book. thanks for the links!

Maybe others who have built up a list of links could do something similar on this thread? It would help people like me who aren't that organized!

Karl Steadman 02-21-2005 07:41 AM

One word.........AWESOME!

Thanks buddy in advance for the square eyes i'm about to develop! :biggrin:

Paul Theodorescu 02-21-2005 07:54 AM

Guys, glad I could be helpful. :-)

If anyone is into note taking, let me know.