View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #28
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Giving a Client Rhabdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Shaw View Post
Robert,
I apologize if I came off to harsh in the first post. That was not my intention. And, f I didn't like Crossfit I wouldn't be here, i respect its place in the conditioning world. The point I was trying to make was that Crossfit needs to hold itself to a higher standard then other certifications. It is better than that! To do so it first needs a national accreditation by a recognized licensing board. It also needs to hold its trainers to a higher standard and make sure they have more baseline knowledge before they give a level 1. My point was simply that you will never see a Crossfit Cert as head strength and conditioning coach for a collegiate / professional / olympic team until it provides their trainers with more education. There is simply no way that someone who took a weekend course or even 5 weekend courses could understand the mechanics of teaching and adapting techniques (ex. the snatch and squat) to a newby the same way someone with 4 years of classroom and practical experience could.
I think the trainers and the trainee's both deserve more for their $1000, don't you?
Maybe. You said that somehow this dearth of educational acumen is causing rhabdo. I'm saying all kinds of fitness pros are involved with marathons and military PT (especially lately) and there's more rhabdo per capita there by a long shot. How do you reconcile that?

I'm not sure about 4 year degrees in exercise. It seems to me that it's just lifting. I mean squatting isn't rocket science and plenty of fitness pros don't teach squats because they find them "too dangerous." I see people with advanced degrees in my profession who are not as competent as me and I question the degree's value except as letters after their name. I think the same applies here.