CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Alden Hingle

Profile:
Re: scott abel article on crossfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Mainsite absolutely does not follow that theoretical template discussed in the CFJ and at L1 certs. If you can find a week's worth of CF.com workouts that resembles it I'll buy you a six-pack of beer.
Concur. That was one of the hardest things to get my head around when I started. I kept tracking the WODs and trying to understand how they fit into the template. Then I realized; they don't.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
No actually he is 100% correct. Mainsite is as random as it comes. There is no pattern, rhyme, or reason to it's programming. This has been stated by the HQ staff over and over again in video's.
What? That is absolutely wrong. Please state which HQ staff stated this and provide links to the videos that you are referencing.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
What? That is absolutely wrong. Please state which HQ staff stated this and provide links to the videos that you are referencing.
Lisbeth,

If I get a chance to tonight I will respond with more supporting data, however in the mean time are you telling me that mainsite isn't random, i. e. there's a pattern?

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 02-22-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Rule number one before you trash something. Research it. Scott Abel failed to do that.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Excellent article, 100% accurate.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Excellent article, 100% accurate.
I am inclined to agree, but IMO, what he's talking about is more important for intermediate/advanced trainees.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I am inclined to agree, but IMO, what he's talking about is more important for intermediate/advanced trainees.
I'd like to caveat what I said by saying that beginners don't need intensity to make gains. The principle of volume before intensity applies to endurance and weight training.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
Russell Greene

Profile:

"Variance does not mean random" - Dave Castro.

Dave explains how CrossFit's constantly varied programming is not random here: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/...rogramming.tpl (WFS)
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #19
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post

Dave explains how CrossFit's constantly varied programming is not random here: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/...rogramming.tpl (WFS)

Oh man......No offence but you gotta be able to do better than a Dave Castro video. Attempting to Regurgitate things he has heard during his association with CrossFit doesn't lend any more credibility to the argument.

"The magic is in the movement" No, actually it isn't. That statement right there is in part what Scott Abel's article is saying is a problem.

Anybody can program for Josh Everett? Come on even CrossFit staff can't believe that nonsense.

Those of us who have been to the cert and are level 1 trainers and know what was taught during programming, know main page does not reflect what we were taught.

I went to the level 1 back when there was no test. I went back again at the end of last year and took the test. I found it interesting that the staff asked us to sit in on the programming lecture prior to taking our test, however that was the only part of the cert they asked us to sit in on. But it was free so no complaints here.

I thought the programming lecture was pretty good, basic, but pretty good. It was better than it was when I originally went to the cert, however main page programming appears to get worse over time, how is that possible? Programming lecture gets better, main page gets worse, I don't understand and really I would like to.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good "workouts" mixed in there but there are many bad ones as well and good workout or not the manner in which they are strung together is often so obviously wrong I don't see how it can be anything but Random.

Or maybe I'm wrong and there is a method to the madness. If that's the case let us in on the secret. As a Level 1 Trainer representing CrossFit, I certainly want to represent it appropriately.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post

Russell,

That is true that he says that in that video, however, there was "The Hopper" wod at the games once to (yeah, it was the games, not mainsite, I get it but still....).

In the bigger picture though, either something is random or it has a pattern. We know that mainsite does not have and has never had a pattern so therefore it is random.

According to this source (wfs)
Random - 1. Having no specific pattern....

We all know that it is impossible to accurately guess what wod will come up. In the past we have seen, on consecutive days mind you, back to back hero's (chippers), back to back strength, and everything else in between. While there is the 3 on 1 off rule (has there ever been back to back rest days to truely dismiss the thought?), the actual workouts themselves are random and have no pattern. Using this I guess you could argue that some form of the programming itself is not random (cause of 3off1on), but the wods still are. With that same notion though you would have to say that it is not constantly varied because it is known that it will be 3on1off.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative here but call a spade a spade.

Anyways, it's 2:30am and I have to be at work soon and need to sleep.