CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Alicia Soret

Profile:
Red face Intro Thread! I've been doing Crossfit for 1 Month now.

AND I LOVE IT! I've never been so sore after workouts, but Im also pushing my limits in ways I havent done before, either.

My trainers are conscious of my weights, my endurance, my capabilities, and I'm so so so fortunate to have found them! It was by fluke, really. They actually contacted us to buy our products for their new gym, (we make wall decals) and in turn, invited us to try them out, since they were just opening up their new location.

I had been interested in Crossfit for awhile, but after seeing all the videos online, didn't have the guts to venture into one of those intimidating boxes with all those very athletic people. But, my trainers invited me to their place and it was AWESOME! That was just over a month ago, and last week we also started our 30 Day Paleo Challenge. I'm already down just over 7lbs, and I'm stronger and have better endurance than ever before.

It's a newfound obsession of mine, and I swear, my friends and co-workers are getting so sick of hearing about it! (I'm taking 6-8 of them this week with me for their first time though, hahah)

I had always been somewhat active, but in the form of swimming, bicycling, etc. Cardio, basically! I also have been doing some really intense spin classes for the last year, that have totally gotten my legs ready for the squats I do now, but I'm finding out that I care less and less about spin, and more and more about Crossfit.

I'm going to Crossfit 3 days a week, and trying to take my spin classes 2-3 days a week (alternating workouts, basically.) But if my muscles need a rest, I'll skip spin, because I see so much more improvement with Crossfit than I ever did with Spinning! Not to mention the community is so much nicer, more welcoming, friendly.. It's already a place I want to go and hang out at, with people who I know care about me and my progress. I truly love it.

Anyway, more about me...? I turned 31 in January, my SO and I have our own business, we live near Jacksonville, FL, I have 2 big dogs, (siberian husky and german shepherd). We used to love riding sportbikes, but business is more important now. It's nice to find something else I love doing though, so I'm not just constantly working!

At some point, I'd love to get some feedback on others' SOs and if they were resistant to the idea of CF. Mine is adamant about not going, but I'm really just doing this for me. Would love for him to come and get involved, but it's his decision. It would be so awesome if we could get healthier and in better shape together!

If you've read this far, thank you. Nice to be here!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:
Re: Intro Thread! I've been doing Crossfit for 1 Month now.

SO=significant other? Well my fiance loves to train and loves to get involved with what I do in my training... we've lifted a lot together. But now our work schedule conflict big time (she works a 9-5 and me 5-2am) she is more into lifting and running a lot.. she's ex air force so she loves pushing herself. But she's also a freak when it comes to form so she doesn't like a lot of balance exercises, she loves heavy weight! But me.. I love everything that challenges me and right now I'm loving this CF stuff.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Page Johnson

Profile:

My SO was *very* hesitant and leery of trying CF. He basically thought I was insane to do it...fast forward a year, and he's now a certified CF trainer and addict.

Welcome to Crossfit!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Alicia Soret

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard A. Lopez View Post
SO=significant other? Well my fiance loves to train and loves to get involved with what I do in my training... we've lifted a lot together. But now our work schedule conflict big time (she works a 9-5 and me 5-2am) she is more into lifting and running a lot.. she's ex air force so she loves pushing herself. But she's also a freak when it comes to form so she doesn't like a lot of balance exercises, she loves heavy weight! But me.. I love everything that challenges me and right now I'm loving this CF stuff.
SO = significant other, yes! It's forum-speak on other forums, sorry!

That's cool that you guys work together when you can! At least you're both active. Richard, are you on Pinterest too, by chance?? There's someone following me on Pinterest with the same name as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Johnson View Post
My SO was *very* hesitant and leery of trying CF. He basically thought I was insane to do it...fast forward a year, and he's now a certified CF trainer and addict.

Welcome to Crossfit!
Page, that's crazy!! So cool!! Mine seems interested sometimes (he used to play football) because he often compares our workouts to his football warm ups and stuff they used to do at practice. Sometimes he seems like he might cave and decide to go, whereas other times he like Yeah right!! Not going. So it's been interesting. He's supportive of me going though, so that's awesome! It would be so hard to do anything if your SO didn't support your intentions and goals, I'm so fortunate in that aspect.

And thank you!!! I'm taking several of our employees to our Crossfit box nearby to try it out for the first time. Hoping they'll love it as much as I do. It would be great for team building as well as the sense of community.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Soret View Post
Richard, are you on Pinterest too, by chance?? There's someone following me on Pinterest with the same name as you.
nope.....
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Alicia Soret

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard A. Lopez View Post
nope.....
Okay weird! Total coincidence then.