CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Jamie Kuryllo

Profile:
CrossFitters in Rome or Venice

Just found out I will be in Rome and Venice next week 23/1-27/1. I do not think there is a crossfit box in either city but would love to meet up with someone for a workout!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Jacob Neilson-Phillips

Profile:
Re: CrossFitters in Rome or Venice

I too am looking for fellow crossfitters in Rome, from 9 march- 16 march.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Luke Norian

Profile:

Ciao!

I didn't see this thread until just now but it's probably a good idea to let CrossFitters know that there are others here! I'm an American student from New York who goes to school here in Rome (John Cabot University). I have been CrossFitting for about 2 years, starting out at my home gym, "CrossFit Merrick". I have been back and forth between home and Rome for the last 2 years so I have tried my best to stay on stop of CrossFit while here as well. Unfortunately, there are no official CrossFit gyms here in Rome's center. This is on the verge of changing VERY soon, however. CrossFit is starting to grow at a fast rate in Italy and I have heard whispers that official gyms in Rome's center are in the works but nothing is official until they go live. One is Roma CrossFit - http://www.romacrossfit.com/ - which should end up being close to the Vatican, almost directly in the center. The other is CrossFit Urbe - http://www.crossfiturbe.com/ - which should be pretty much on the city's outer wall. They say that sometime in February they are supposed to go live but we'll see - I'm keeping my eyes and ears open!!!

Other than that, there's CrossFit Sabina which is an hour outside of Rome by train in the quieter part of region, Lazio. I went to the opening day of CrossFit Sabina and had a great time! Antonello, the head trainer, is a great guy and made sure that he outfitted his gym correctly from the start. Since there aren't too many gyms in Italy, there's a nice community among some of the gyms here even if they are in another region. Because of this, a group of guys from veteran gyms CrossFit Palermo and CrossFit Alcamo in Sicily came up to support Antonello and I got to meet a bunch of them. They then invited me to attend a small CrossFit event/competition they were holding in Sicily. I went, participated in the event, got my *** kicked (but performed well), and met some awesome friends that I'll definitely be staying in touch with.

However, because there's still no official gyms in Rome's center, I've become pretty good at making due with what I can. I usually use one of two locations to train. The first is the school's gym which is SMALL but I still manage to get in there and make due with what's available. Obviously, not all the equipment necessary is at this gym but I try to use creativity and make sure my workouts stay diversified. The other place I usually work out is along the Tiber. The river is very close to where I live so I usually use it as my designated 'run spot' when I want to do just a straight run for time (about 3-3.5 miles each time, but I don't know the exact distance). It also has a spot about a mile up where there's a wooden pull-up bar and a long set of steep stairs. I usually use this location to mix in some type of WOD that includes running, pull-ups, jump roping, squats, stair climbs, push-ups, and anything else that I can think of.

Sorry for the long response but I wanted to give an accurate idea of what the CrossFit situation is here in Rome. Hopefully, by the end of the month an official gym will be open which will make a huge difference. I, for one, will be extremely excited!! If you're coming to Rome and want to get in a workout, send me a message of Facebook @ Luke Orlandini Norian (you can also PM me but I will see the Facebook message sooner). If the gyms do go live then you can probably bet that I've been attending and can hook you up with the owner for a drop-in. If they aren't live, I'll still be doing what I described above so feel free to message me to see if we're around during the same time. Generally, I'm in Rome from the beginning of September - middle of December, then I go home for the holidays, then I'm back in Italy from the beginning of January - middle of May, then I go back home for the summer until September.

Hope that helped and helps anyone in the future!!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Valter Piroli

Profile:

hi guys, im presently looking into a few places right now, by mid summer there will be a crossfit near the old part, trastaverde area.. i will post when it will be open
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Josh Willins

Profile:

I also will be in Rome from the 12-15th and looking for a place to Crossfit..
think we may have a small group here, lets put something together!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Paul J Doherty

Profile:

Hey all -

I just got this email from CrossfitUrbe in Rome RE: WOD next week (March 17th 2012). They just opened.

"Well, we will be happy to see you at the Reebok CrossFit tour tour in Rome, Villa Borghese. There are several classes During the course of the weekend, you should write down for participating. For more info, starting Monday, visit our website www.crossfiturbe.com

Best,
Dario Matelicani
Co Owner CF Trainer"

I plan on checking it out.

- Paul

Co Owner/Trainer
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Luke Norian

Profile:

Ciao again!

Alright, so it seems that Roma CrossFit has fallen through which is a shame because I think it was supposed to be around the Vatican area which is in the center. But like Paul said, I've been checking up on the opening of CrossFit Urbe a bit and it seems like it's pretty much open or going to be within a week. Unfortunately, I live in the dead center (Trastevere) and CrossFit Urbe is on the outskirts of the city. Just like I did with CrossFit Sabina, I'm probably gonna end up giving the route a few test runs to see if it's practical to go there often.

Valter, bene da sapere perché io non ho la macchina quindi una palestra cosi vicino mi serverebbe un sacco! Vado a casa negli Stati per l'estate ma poi ritorno qui a Roma verso l'inizio di settembre. Se c'è una palestra qui in centro quando ritorno ti vorrò bene per sempre, haha!!! Onestamente, una palestra in centro sarebbe molto popolare...
Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Marco Raffo

Profile:

Hi guys,
I'm Marco and I'm doing the on ramp course at crossfit urbe.

The gym is a bit far from the center but by car is easy to reach.

they started 2 on ramp courses, one in the morning and one in the evening, but I’m a bit worried because we're only 4 in the morning and 2 in the evening, so I think that after this course is not going to be easy to do normal classes, I think is because the price to get in is a bit high (180€ for 6 lessons) and after the on ramp they don't have a monthly gym membership, so if you want to do a lesson you've to pay for every single one (15€ each).

I'm from San Pietro so if someone wants a lift to the gym we can go together.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Luke Norian

Profile:

Marco,

I live in Trastevere so the gym is kinda far from me and I don't have a car but really want to at least check it out one or two times. If possibile, I would love to car pool to the gym one day! Per andare a San Pietro è facile quindi possiamo incontrarci lì e poi andiamo alla palestra insieme. Se vuoi, contattami su Facebook e poi ci organizziamo - Luke Orlandini Norian.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Marco Raffo

Profile:

Hi Luke,
good news Crossfiturbe now have a monthly gym membership at €100 and you can do as many wod as possible.

I'm going to finish the on ramp course next week so if you want we can go to the gym next saturday.

Marco