CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:
Body Fat %

Alright I will be the first to admit that I am not the biggest, strongest of guys. Recently, I participated in a body fat test at my local box and the findings were horrendously frightening...I'm talking borderline death basically. That was January 15th (so not even 2 full months).

Last week, we were re-tested. Amazingly, I gained 20 pounds in that time frame. However, the doctor was still upset because of those 20 pounds, 18 of them were muscle and only 2 were fat. Because my body fat was still incredibly low, I felt like I was being reprimanded despite gaining so much weight.

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some of the effects that a low body fat % can have (both short and long-term) and how to increase it in a healthy manner. I have been consuming around 4,000 calories a day on average, so I don't know what the else I can do without having to continually binge on fast food buffets or something like that.

While I do feel a TON better with the extra weight on me, I still have a long way to go apparently. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Body Fat %

For men, going below 6-8% BF for a prolonged period of time can have negative effects on your health...i.e. normal body functions get disrupted.

Just how low is your BF? If you need help getting it up to a healthy level in a hurry, just add a half gallon of whole milk on top of your normal daily food intake. Or douse everything you eat with olive oil and add some dense carbs like oats and sweet potatoes in there too. You can gain weight while still eating quality food.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

I honestly don't even want to post the results....Let's just say below 4....

I've been downing chocolate milk like it's my job, using coconut oil for everything I cook, and eating a ton of carbs at every meal yet still can't seem to put on a ton of fat. Although my strength has skyrocketed and I have a ton more energy, I definitely don't want to risk any long-term issues here
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

How was the test done? BF% measurements are generally not that accurate to begin with, so I would question a sub-4% result in anyone who was not showing other symptoms of near-starvation.

Katherine
Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

It was a legit test...the one where they submerge you in water and everything
Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beuttenmuller View Post
I honestly don't even want to post the results....Let's just say below 4....

I've been downing chocolate milk like it's my job, using coconut oil for everything I cook, and eating a ton of carbs at every meal yet still can't seem to put on a ton of fat. Although my strength has skyrocketed and I have a ton more energy, I definitely don't want to risk any long-term issues here
Just keep doing what you're doing then. You won't be able to keep adding 18 lean pounds compared to only 2 pounds of fat for long. Once you get up in the 10-12% range you can slow down the weight gaining focus since you'll be well out of the borderline dangerous range.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I'm still skeptical, given that you've been in this state for 2+ months and are still able to get out of bed and be more or less functional.

In any case, just eat. With bf% that low, it's pretty much impossible for you to eat too much. You might start by doubling whatever you're eating now. You don't say what your activity level is, but 4000 calories a day might be a good initial target.

Effects of ultra-low body fat? Compromised immune system, difficulty maintaining body temperature, difficulty recovering from workouts, fatigue... it's a pretty long list.

Katherine
Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
For men, going below 6-8% BF for a prolonged period of time can have negative effects on your health...i.e. normal body functions get disrupted.

Just how low is your BF? If you need help getting it up to a healthy level in a hurry, just add a half gallon of whole milk on top of your normal daily food intake. Or douse everything you eat with olive oil and add some dense carbs like oats and sweet potatoes in there too. You can gain weight while still eating quality food.
So, 6-8% is OK?
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
So, 6-8% is OK?
6-8% is great, if you're able to hold it and function normally. Most people who diet down to 6-8% aren't able to hold it because of their set point, which can be influenced by diet and exercise, but only up to a point. There does seem to be some anecdotal evidence that dieting down very slowly to single digits (0.5 lbs/wk) will make it easier to hold though.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Chad Ochocinco AKA Chad Johnson claims he is always around 2 to 3 % body fat. If he can do it so can you.