CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Sean Bortnem

Profile:
Posterior Hip Pain from Squating

I was recently doing a back squat workout and I injured my hip. I did about 10 min of hip mobility work from mobilitywod.com and then my basic warmup I do before all my workouts. I went through my first warmup set with 115 on the bar and had no problems. I went to start to second warmup set at 135 and when I got to the bottom position and began to go back up I felt a very sharp pain in the posterior lateral portion of my hip. I ended the workout there so I would not further injure my hip. I tried to do a simple air squat a day later and the pain is exactly the same. I do not have any pain until I get right below 90 deg and try to go back up. There is no pain in the front of my hip only in the posterior lateral area right in the capsule it feels like. I'm not sure if I over mobilized before the workout and loosened the hip capsule or what. Any help in what the problem might be would be great.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Posterior Hip Pain from Squating

I hate when people tell me they stretch all the time, and are very flexible, but still have pain. I'm not sure where they come to think that as long as your flexible and/or mobile that you won't have any pain.

Ask any 40 yr old ex-gymnast how their body feels. 90+% will say they feel like crap. There is more to how the body moves than just getting in places it may not supposed to be able to get to.

What else elicits pain? Makes it better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bortnem View Post
I was recently doing a back squat workout and I injured my hip. I did about 10 min of hip mobility work from mobilitywod.com and then my basic warmup I do before all my workouts. I went through my first warmup set with 115 on the bar and had no problems. I went to start to second warmup set at 135 and when I got to the bottom position and began to go back up I felt a very sharp pain in the posterior lateral portion of my hip. I ended the workout there so I would not further injure my hip. I tried to do a simple air squat a day later and the pain is exactly the same. I do not have any pain until I get right below 90 deg and try to go back up. There is no pain in the front of my hip only in the posterior lateral area right in the capsule it feels like. I'm not sure if I over mobilized before the workout and loosened the hip capsule or what. Any help in what the problem might be would be great.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Sean Bortnem

Profile:

I was not saying that just bc I'm mobile/flexible I have pain I was just telling you how it occurred. I'm 21 years old and have never had any injury or pain before this while lifting. It was pain with that specific rep at the bottom of the squat. No problems with anything else only when squating since that happened a week ago. I talked to a physical therapist via phone and he has a suspicion of a torn labrum. I am curious to see what this means for my future with squating and if it will limit my performance if surgery is needed
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

I'd hesitate to change what you're doing based on what someone has told you from your description over the phone, or message board for that matter.

If it's that much of a concern, and you've done all you know how to do, I would consider seeing someone for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bortnem View Post
I was not saying that just bc I'm mobile/flexible I have pain I was just telling you how it occurred. I'm 21 years old and have never had any injury or pain before this while lifting. It was pain with that specific rep at the bottom of the squat. No problems with anything else only when squating since that happened a week ago. I talked to a physical therapist via phone and he has a suspicion of a torn labrum. I am curious to see what this means for my future with squating and if it will limit my performance if surgery is needed
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Posterior hip pain may not even be a hip issue rather an SI joint issue or something like that.

Again, like, if you've tried something for a couple weeks and it's not working then it's unlikely to work.

If you've exhausted all options of what you think you can do... time to see a professional about it...

We'll see though... I assume it has been getting worse? Or stays the same? Or only hurts in that bottom position or what? Need more info.