CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Matthew Evans

Profile:
If CROSSGYM win CrossFit lose!

There is a simple and overriding issue that is looming on the horizon for every single one of us that has invested our heart and soul into CrossFit - European affiliate owners I am talking to you.
I know we as affiliate owners are even more touched and as a consequence invested in CrossFit than any of the committed souls that enter our boxes everyday and chalk up their hands ready to do battle.
We are the ones that went that extra mile and opened up a place “where everyone knows your name and are always glad you came”. I personally opened my affiliate and taught my first class the day after my wife gave birth to our twin boys. I will say that again the day after my wife gave birth to our twin boys. I have at times allowed my love for CrossFit and what we stand for to almost drive a wedge between the 3 people in my life that I love the most. My wife being the person and mother she is has allowed me to continue to pursue the one thing in my life that defines me. It is for this reason that I am fiercely protective of something I have worked hard to be a part of and will fight to continue to be involved in the evolution CrossFit.
CrossGym threaten this by trying to destroy the CrossFit affiliate system in Europe. If CrossGym are successful many of those late night arguments and much of the sacrifice my family has made to enable me to involved in CrossFit will be in vain. We will be faced with a such a dilution of what we love it does not bear thinking about.
Can you imagine the Globo Gym down the road from your box being allowed to advertise CrossFit classes when not one of their “coaches” carries a CrossFit CF-L1 credential. Those same people that openly mock our methodology and whole ethos would happily use the name to make money.
If CrossGym win their legal battle this is the stark reality that we as European affiliate owners will be faced with.

My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people in the world:*
Those who work and fight for what they believe in and those who take the credit regardless of what they have put in.* He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less competition there.
We cannot allow this to happen.

https://www.facebook.com/crossgym/posts/445020595530343
Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: If CROSSGYM win CrossFit lose!

Very emotional plea and I empathize. I also do not agree with infringement.

However, what I do agree with is that the best gyms and the best trainers rise to the top. Can I imagine a globo right down the road offering what they claim to be similar services? Yes I can. It happens all the time. People will soon realize all they are offering is the same impersonal crap packaged under a different name. The magic of a CF affiliate isnt in the name it's in the service. If your service is superior you'll be fine. It's been proven time and again.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Matthew Evans

Profile:

Thanks Matt!!
This is bigger than just me and my affiliate. If CrossGym are successful and the CrossFit EC verbal trademark is deemed invalid this could set a precedent around the world!!
As we type a team of CF lawyers are battling it out in a European court and the decision is due on the 18th of July. We as a worldwide CrossFit community need to share this info so we are all aware!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Russell Greene

Profile:

"Very emotional plea and I empathize. I also do not agree with infringement.

However, what I do agree with is that the best gyms and the best trainers rise to the top. Can I imagine a globo right down the road offering what they claim to be similar services? Yes I can. It happens all the time. People will soon realize all they are offering is the same impersonal crap packaged under a different name. The magic of a CF affiliate isnt in the name it's in the service. If your service is superior you'll be fine. It's been proven time and again."

Matt,
If every Globo Gym train offers watered down "CrossFit" training, it's going to confuse people. Let's remember that many people still don't know what CrossFit is. If their first encounter with "CrossFit" is lat-pulldowns at Bally's, they will wonder what the hoopla is all about. They will likely NOT discover the effective, revolutionary program that CrossFitters now practice.

CrossFit affiliates are the only gyms that legitimately offer CrossFit instruction. Cross Gym is trying to take this privilege away from Affiliates and give it to anyone with a sign.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Trust me I'm with you. I hope they lose. I just feel like its inevetable. You can't defeat all the CrossGyms, CrossFitnesses, Xfits, etc. out there. In the end results will speak for themselves and people will be drawn to the good gyms. The CF name may unfortunately suffer, but individual gyms will succeed. It's not all that different than someone who sees CF as a good business idea, gets a level 1, opens a huge facility and can't train for crap or doesnt care. Are they any better? Maybe a little. At least they paid. But they're doing a disservice to CF too and in the end they will fail.