CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Sam Wong

Profile:
Hi new person here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hi all.

I've been lurking for a while looking up info here and there. Figured it was time I finally joined. I've been doing cf for about 6 months now. My goals were to improve my fitness in all aspects of my life (whether hitting a golf ball or softball further, looking and feeling better, or having more energy during the day) in addition to having a few performance goals. I always felt lonely and bored working out on my own and a regular gym felt like more of the same. I guess when you look at it that way an additional goal was looking to join a nice community where I wouldn't feel that way. Luckily there's an affiliate a few blocks away from me and I'm up to 5 days a week now.

My first wod was scary. I was brand new straight out of the on ramp class. No one from that class ended up joining so I knew no one. I'm 5'5 so I felt like the small person in a big world. And to top it all off, it was a partner wod with rows, wall balls (my mortal enemy), hurdle hops, and kb swings. My partner was this big dude who had been doing cf for a long time and in MY head he was thinking "oh great, look at this clown." I was gasping for air just a few minutes in but he was really nice and encouraging along with the coaches. It ended up going well and I've been hooked ever since. To be honest, if that first day hadn't gone well, like if I ran into a wall of bros, I might not have gone back.

From what I've seen here, people are helpful and encouraging and it's great to see. I even found Alix, who runs the affiliate in hong kong, on here and managed to visit his box a few times when I was there visiting family.

Ok, I've rambled on enough. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:
Re: Hi new person here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hey Sam I'm glad you've found a box that has good coaching and a lot of support from the other members. Don't let your height or weight dictate what you can or can't do. Success is measured by the effort you give. WOD on!!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Glen Genet

Profile:
Re: Hi new person here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Sam,

In my short CF career I've worked out at two boxes, both have their own pros and cons. The one I went to first had superior coaching. They were great, 3 games athletes that I knew of maybe more, and even more who had been to regionals.
But the problem with that place is that it was almost too advanced for me. Much more focus was giving to their competition athletes. The second place I joined was a newer smaller box. Not as high quality coaching as I would of expected. Not bad though. Like you will read on here often, intentions were good but not everyone who does Crossfit should be a coach. But all my fellow gym members were new cross fitters. That place was fun because I finally found out what it was like to dominate a leader board(TRUST ME I DON'T BELONG AT THE TOP).
I'm now WODing at Home. Which is fun but not the same.

What Im getting at though even if your box is good now, it might not always feel that way. You should not sacrifice good coaching for something like price or comfortability. That thing you found that makes you feel comfortable is not exclusive to your box. But at the same time its not guaranteed at all of them.
It comes from a community that puts more emphasis on building relationships than actual performance. I am no way saying that performance is on the back burner but it is not the driving force. Everyone wants to see everyone do their first pull up, muscle-up, or 200lb Snatch. They want to watch someone Slam a barbell down from overhead and let out a war-cry because they just PR'd their C&J. They want to see all these things. But what they want to see more is.......you walking through that door tomorrow.

Sam welcome to Crossfit! It is a beautiful thing,and will stay that way as long as we all remember its about us all being better than our old selfs and not the best in the box (But it sure is ****ing fun to try ).