CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Douglas Kline

Profile:
3 months in. Help!!!

I have been doing crossfit for about three months now. Always lifted weights and did moderate cardio proir to starting this new adventure. Looked very fit but always suspected i wasnt very "athletic". Crossfit has taught me the errors of my way! Anyways.... the first two months were great. Always sore but great gains in size and strength. My ex even refered to me as getting "wide"! But lately i have just hit the wall and seem to be going in reverse. Lack (alot) of strength and stamina. Not even making through the wod. Gasping and weak. Very Frustrating to say the least. Has anyone else ran into this? My minds into it but the body is not. Starting to think it may be health related but i hate excuses!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: 3 months in. Help!!!

What's your workout frequency?

How are you eating?

How are you sleeping?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

Jeff's questions may be key. I was about 5 months in and found the same thing. I started eating much more and it made significant difference.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

Crossift is just that way. Some days you do great and some days you get killed. You may not be taking enough rest days, eating enough or remembering to breathe during your burpees. Maybe you're stressed, busy at work, or worried about something.

One thing I've learned is that every day is a new day. Keep working and keep getting stronger.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
Douglas Kline

Profile:

stats: 5'9 180. 42 years old. I try to go 3 to 4 time a week. usually consecutive during the week and then rest on the weekends. I have always sort of slept like crap. I am a type two diabetic and have been struggling to actually get my numbers up. Usually eat a small bowl of oatmeal and a hard boiled egg an hour before going to the box. Thinking my sugar is getting jacked up due to the intense workout? I am a little loath to eat something between the warm up and the wod. Just a guess on my part. I think I need a dr.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Mark T Smith

Profile:

The way I explain it to my athletes is that there are three legs on this table:
Train- sounds like you are doing that. Your coach will take care of your programming, all you have to do is be there and PUT OUT! So you are good there.
The other two are where people have their problems:
Nutrition- that just means to re-fuel correctly. Again lean on your coaches knowledge and training. Then be accountable and take good notes. Just like I'm sure you do with your workouts, do the same thing with everything you put in your mouth.
Rest- Mark Ripitoe says " I've never seen anybody over train, but I've seen a lot of people under rest." You may have heard all this already but now you have heard it again. Good luck to you buddy.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

EAT MORE FOOD! I have hit that same wall and it always came down to not eating enough.

I would not worry about eating that close to the workout if you are getting all the cals you need for the day and workout too. By all means go to the Dr to check you levels. But I bet it is food, or the lack there of.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Alex Rosenberg

Profile:

A training partner of mine once told me a good bit of advice relating to this; "Some days you're the cowboy, and some days you're the Horse."