CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Renfro Carley

Profile:
Squat Mobility Handbook

Hey all new to crossfit as a 42 year young male. I have some pretty serious limited range of motion in my lower extremeties. I have researched, read, watched a ton of things concerning mobility work. My question is, being how much it is asked about increasing mobility for squatting, why hasn't someone developed a full detailed mobility squatting handbook. Such as test your range of motion then you do these exercise in this order for this long, retest......

I think you get the point. Maybe there is one but I haven't found it yet. I found a ton of resources on individual movements but nothing chained together, such as hip, hamstring, quads, ankles.....all of it. I can only think that if someone develops this or has already developed it, it would be successful.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Jason Newland

Profile:
Re: Squat Mobility Handbook

Have you seen or read "Becoming a Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starrett?

That is the closest to what I think you're describing. (and it is a great reference tool, BTW. I find myself going back to it quite often.)
Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Renfro Carley

Profile:

I have read it. It is a great book. The problem is the skipping around in it to find the areas that need work. Its not chained together. Does it have the assessment tests for ROM? I cant remember. Is there a more conducive way of performing the mobility exercises in order to improve overall squat mobility. That type of thing.

I am just hoping that somewhere there is a guide, document, thread that addresses the entire chain of mobility exercises to improve total squat mobility.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Jason Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro Carley View Post
I have read it. It is a great book. The problem is the skipping around in it to find the areas that need work. Its not chained together. Does it have the assessment tests for ROM?
I think the issue with something like what you are looking for, is that everyone is built slightly differently. Even with the simplest movement - the air squat - there is a huge issue/debate on the "knees out" cue, since everyone has their own opinion. So, someone who is 6'5" tall and 50 years old from one side of the world isn't going to have to same flexibility as someone who is 5'4" and 17 years old from another area of the world, so there wouldn't necessarily be a good or easy way to qualify "good mobility" that would work for both.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

You might want to google some of the trainer's that have movement screens/assessments.

Gray Cook comes to mind.