CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Scott L Jenkins

Profile:
Return to Training Post Injury - Advice Requested

Hi all,

I haven't trained in over a year and a half due to various injuries. I've recently gotten MRI results for an ongoing quad/knee issue which first started in November; the results at the 4 month mark showed medial quadricep tendinosis near the insertion to the knee and minor edema in the supra-patellar fat pad. I'm 28 and I have no idea what led to this happening in the first place, other than going from hard training to leading a fairly inactive lifestyle for several months. My knee has been feeling better as of late and I think I'm ready to start training again.

So, I'm starting from scratch; I've lost years of strength gains, my legs are weak, in addition to the quad issue I have forearm tendinitis and a junky elbow; I need a plan which is going to prevent me from being sidelined for another 6 months. Here's what I'm considering:

A lot of isolated quad work to start with, incorporating swimming (low impact & endurance alternative to running), yoga (help with restrictive/junky tissue), planks of all variations since pull/ups and push/ups might be too much for the forearm at first, gradually implementing ring rows, various low impact exercises to help strengthen my weak glutes/core (bridges, leg raises, sit ups, etc). Basically, I'm not touching a barbell for a while, at least until I have baseline core strength re-established, everything's working properly, and I'm pain free.

Please fire away any recommendations/critique, I need to get strong again, and I need to avoid getting hurt.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Andrew G Parker

Profile:
Re: Return to Training Post Injury - Advice Requested

See a good physical therapist. Odds are, they can get you healed and a start on strength conditioning more quickly than you will on your own.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Go slow. People like us have a hard time executing a 1 year recovery plan but it sounds like that is what you need to recover/rebuild.

I'll second getting a good PT involved. Only add load and volume under his or her approval.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I'd really try to work with someone who has some advanced knowledge and can work directly with you to monitor your progress over time and advance you at an appropriate rate. If you live in San Jose, CA, there have got to be many boxes near you. I'd look for one with a coach who has a physical therapy or athletic trainer background. Ask for a few one on one sessions with them to help you get started and have them monitor you over time as you scale workouts to fit your rehab needs.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

Medical advice should be your first step.

After that, I would recommend look into Convict Conditioning. Don't let your ego get in the way and follow the progressions at the first level and add a rep or two per workout. You'll build connective tissue strength along with mobility and muscle strength.

I severely strained my shoulder maxing overhead squats in October. My PT gave me some rehab drills with an elastic band and recommended bodyweight only for six months. I followed her advice and did the rehab along with CC. My shoulder issue has faded and my joints are stronger.