CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Kyle Borowsky

Profile:
getting back into shape

So it's been some time now since I have been involved with fitness and exercise on a regular basis. Part of this is my own laziness and part is the amount of time spent in the library for school.

One thing though is when I do exercise now I can't help but wonder why is it so much more painful now trying to get back in shape that when I initially started exercising at all.

Looking for some ideas to get started again and maybe a little bit of inspiration as well...

right now I am not any ware close to being able to complete a cross-fit workout but would like to get back to that point again. last weak when I did some lifting when I was done I was sick for about a half hour and puked several times during that time period.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Derek Delvecchio

Profile:
Re: getting back into shape

Hi Kyle,

Imo, you might be trying to do too much too soon. Especially if your puking like that. If you haven't done much in awhile it's tough coming back. I know the feeling well. But you'll get there.

Do you have any equipment or are you looking to join a box or gym?
I've done it all at home for awhile now with minimal equipment.

I would take it slow at first and maybe try some body-weight workouts to get yourself going again. There are a lot of Crossfit videos on YouTube that can help with form and also motivation.

What were you doing for fitness before?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Jon Hanover

Profile:

ALways hard getting back into it, even after a few months. You are like... oh I could easily squat this... then it feels really heavy. Just be patient man... this is a marathon, not a spring.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hanover View Post
ALways hard getting back into it, even after a few months. You are like... oh I could easily squat this... then it feels really heavy. Just be patient man... this is a marathon, not a spring.
And check your ego at the door, that is how people get hurt
Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

There are a lot of reasons why you might puke during or after a workout. Not all of them are really negative PHYSICAL side-effects, but it's impossible to determine WHY you puked during those particular workouts without more information. You might be eating too soon before, eating too much, not eating enough, eating the wrong things before, have an adrenaline sensitivity, have any of a number of GI issues, weak sphincter at the upper stomach, etc etc... No way to know just based on one line of "I puked after a workout".

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to tell people that "Puking is your body's way of telling you that your workout is half over."

Getting it back is always harder. Just gotta stick with it. You do, however, have to avoid the circumstance where you overtrain and hurt yourself, or train so hard in small bursts that your recovery time between workouts is counterproductive. Ease back into it.