CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
With minimal shoes you SHOULD NOT run landing on your heel. You have to adopt a midfoot first running stride. For heavier people, this is more important due to the increased forces of a heel strike. In my experience (way back when I ran and weighed 150ish) I always got shin splints and plantar fasciitis when running with heel first foot strike. Currently, after adopting a midfoot strike and wearing minimalist shoes, and weighing around 230, I have NO running leg or foot problems.
Thanks for the info! It seems much more natural to run with a ball strike than a heel toe. I dont get shin splints but running does a number on my calves.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
Joe Wannebo

Profile:

If you start running in a minimalist shoe and you are not use to it I suggest that you take it easy for a while and focus on good form running in a minimalist. The muscles in the foot and leg are usually not conditioned to handle such strain on them because the way shoes were/are made for so long. Chances are if you try and go for your normal run in minimalists you could cause yourself some serious pain/discomfort. Keep it short and sweet till you know what your legs can and cant handle.

Shoes are finally making a switch to all the padding to make it "comfortable" to now a more "functional" shoe because research is showing us the more padding in the shoe is causing much more problems with our knees, hips, and lower back.

Just be sure to take it slow if your moving to a minimalist... especially if you have a heel-toe strike. It takes practice and a little bit of discomfort to work past this. But after you have a solid mid-foot strike your shins will be much stronger and your calves will be rock solid as well! Good Luck on whatever shoe you pick...lots of good ones.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
Ben H Young

Profile:

I've got the New Balance MT 20's I think. First 2 - 3 weeks my legs (shins, knee's and feet) were killing me. Was going to quit Crossfit altogether, but first I went to a foot and ankle Dr. He advised that I wasn't flexible enough for thickly soled shoes, and that's why I bought minimalist shoes. Feet and legs haven't felt this good in years. The Dr. was a Crossfitter too and had zero drop shoes. What works for one person, won't work for the other. I wouldn't switch shoes unless you notice a problem.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Carlos Garza

Profile:

I have 2 sets o Nanos 2.0 that I love and I also have a set of NBMX20RB that I really love and got them at a great price here.. Both the Nanos and NB are great all around shoes for crossfit.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/...e=12.5&width=D
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #35
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin R Johnson View Post
Personally I think all that "specialized" Crossfit shoes do is help you feel your feet more during olympic lifts and they can help you diagnose when you're weight isn't in your heels easier than a more cushioned pair of shoes (Like the Nike's)
"Crossfit shoes" such as the nanos, vibrams, innov8s, new balance, etc. etc., are not in any way designed for olympic lifting. Weightlifting shoes, however, are.

Even if someone is just starting out with the lifts with any degree of seriousness to learn them, they should buy a pair. Period. There are many affordable options on the market now which gives beginners easier access to weightlifting shoes. Your article talks about how you don't even need a pair of weightlifting shoes to snatch/clean and jerk (because Froning doesn't wear them in one specific video) which makes me believe that you've either never lifted in a pair or have limited experience with the lifts.

Sure, you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED a pair. Do they make a difference in stability and positioning? Absolutely. Is it safer to lift in them? I would argue that it is. Weightlifting shoes are designed for a specific purpose...weightlifting. It's no surprise that anyone who takes weightlifting seriously (as a sport or recreationally) wears them when they lift. It's like buying a pair of cleats to play soccer...or a pair of flippers to scuba dive. If you want to learn a sport properly, buy the proper equipment.

Last edited by Mike Donalds : 03-28-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #36
Josh Blackburn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
"Crossfit shoes" such as the nanos, vibrams, innov8s, new balance, etc. etc., are not in any way designed for olympic lifting. Weightlifting shoes, however, are.

Even if someone is just starting out with the lifts with any degree of seriousness to learn them, they should buy a pair. Period. There are many affordable options on the market now which gives beginners easier access to weightlifting shoes. Your article talks about how you don't even need a pair of weightlifting shoes to snatch/clean and jerk (because Froning doesn't wear them in one specific video) which makes me believe that you've either never lifted in a pair or have limited experience with the lifts.

Sure, you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED a pair. Do they make a difference in stability and positioning? Absolutely. Is it safer to lift in them? I would argue that it is. Weightlifting shoes are designed for a specific purpose...weightlifting. It's no surprise that anyone who takes weightlifting seriously (as a sport or recreationally) wears them when they lift. It's like buying a pair of cleats to play soccer...or a pair of flippers to scuba dive. If you want to learn a sport properly, buy the proper equipment.
I have a write ups that might help on crossfit shoes and weight lifting shoes. As Mike said, once you start doing the oly lifts you will want to have a pair of oly shoes.

Here they are Crossfit shoes here and Oly shoes here (WFS)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #37
Jon Hanover

Profile:

One pair of crossfit shoes
One pair of olympic weight lifting shoes

They have some hybrids out there since sometimes you're doing box jumps paired with C&J for example... haven't used them...