CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Jack Patterson

Profile:
Return to crossfit

Ok! I am sure there are a hundred posts like this one. I need advice.
I recently returned to a crossfit Box. I can say this is hands down the best decision I have ever made.
I left crossfit a few years ago because I could not afford the fees. However times have changed and I can now.

I was a runner the last 4 years. I completed 13 half marathons and one marathon during the last 3 years.

I have slowly gained weight and cant seem to drop it.
I struggle with Nutrition and I ALWAYS have I just love food.

Can anyone give me advice on ways to beat the nutrition issue?

Things that worked for you!
Times to eat and what to eat.

The following are my goals
1. Drop 25-30 lbs and the belly
2. Complete a half marathon in 2:10 minutes
3. Complete a marathon is under 4:30
4. Feel better about myself

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Return to crossfit

Welcome back! I don't have any experience with running the kind of distances you run, but I know numerous people who have improved their times by running less and adding crossfit.

When it comes to weight and nutrition, the first thing you have to do is find out how many calories you are taking in every day.

Download My Fitness Pal for your smartphone and start by tracking everything you eat for at least a week, 2 weeks would be better. The app allows you to scan the UPC code of anything you eat, and to estimate the calories you intake item by item if you are eating meals at the fire house. You can enter 7 oz chicken, 4 oz spinach, 2 rolls and 1 diet coke and it calculates calories and a breakdown of protein, carbs, fat, etc. You have to enter everything you eat to get a real idea of how many cals you are taking in. It seems kind of annoying at first, but just do it when you have downtime. Once you find your intake, you can enter a goal weight and how long you want to make it reality, and the app will give you a daily calorie goal to stick to.

What worked for me was having a goal. We had a body fat testing truck come to the box and I was disappointed with my results, so I decided to track everything and make adjustments. Instead of eating donuts, bagels or Egg Mcmuffins for breakfast, I switched to instant oatmeal, yogurt and almond butter. I switched from snacks of chips, candy and junk to apples, bananas and Greek yogurt. I drink lots of water and plenty of chocolate milk.

It took me a long time and lots of adjustments to find what works for me. It turns out my body needs lots of protein, so I have found a balance that allows me to maintain my weight, rarely feel hungry, and i have plenty of energy to workout. At the 6 month retest I was 12% body fat at 42 years old and I was pretty excited!

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Sonia Souza

Profile:
Re: Return to crossfit

Great advice Joe!

Another option is to look into prepared foods that are delivered to you. There is a place in my area many CF athletes use and they never have the same menu and it comes out to $7.5 to $9 a meal. They are portion controlled and there are diff types from a light menu, competition menu, lean menu and snacks as well. I have friends that have used this type of service and lost 30 to 40 pounds in a short time. mind yourself some of these individuals were severely overweight but it was the jump start they needed. Anyway, Good luck and I hope this may have helped you out.

Welcome back