CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:
Shoe's For wide feet and low arches

I have the NB NT20's now and they have held up well and work well for lifting. however I notice when I do wall balls or run on a hard surface my feet hurt. My foot is 11" long and 4.5" wide I also have a very low arch almost to the point of being flat footed.

I wonder if anyone else has wide feet like me and has the same issue with foot pain when using the minimalist shoes popular for crossfit.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Shoe's For wide feet and low arches

I also have wide feet and a poor arch, but not as wide as yours.

After about a year of crossfit I visited a true running store. They asked me to remove my shoes and walk around for a few steps. Right away he could see that I needed a shoe with better support on the inside of me feet. He recommended a pair of asics and since then I have purchased 3 more pairs. My feet simply don't hurt anymore. The nike frees and the Inov-8 and the other flat shoes didn't work for me. At all.

Give it a try. Best $135 I ever spent.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M DAndrea View Post
I have the NB NT20's now and they have held up well and work well for lifting. however I notice when I do wall balls or run on a hard surface my feet hurt. My foot is 11" long and 4.5" wide I also have a very low arch almost to the point of being flat footed.

I wonder if anyone else has wide feet like me and has the same issue with foot pain when using the minimalist shoes popular for crossfit.

I have flat feet, thanks to 21+ years in the Army, and they are somewhat wide. I went to a popular running shoe store and had them check my arches and gait as I walked around. It was suggested that I try arch supports and/or insoles to remedy the pain.

Also, I stick to Reebok or NB shoes because they tend to accomodate wider feet versus Nike.....You might want to begin with the http://www.footmapping.ca/ (WSF). That's what I worked with prior to "upgrading" to other products.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Michael
Old 12-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Sonia Souza

Profile:

Have you tried the nanos? If you haven't they tend to be wider in the foot area along with a lower arch.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

and you can strengthen your arches:
A Few Simple Exercises to Strengthen Your Feet

Do toe spreads. Sit, stand, or lie down and fan your toes out as widely as possible. Create space between each toe. Hold this position for ten seconds, and repeat the exercise ten times daily per foot.

Point at things with your toes. Pick something, anything, in the room and point your toes at it. Now flex your foot. Hold it for five seconds, then release. Again, do this ten times per foot each day. For extra work, try tracing the alphabet with your feet in midair each day.

Get on your toes. Stand on your tippy-toes and just walk around for five minutes each day. Never let your heels touch the ground for the duration. Barefoot toe treadmill work is a worthy alternative.

Try side walking. Stand up (barefoot, of course) and get in a shoulder wide stance. Bend your knees slightly and roll onto the outer edges of your feet. Keep the weight on your outer feet and slowly raise up on your toes. You should feel your longitudinal arch stretching; once you do, hold that position for five seconds. Repeat five times each day.

Walk in sand. Sand is never the same. If you kick off your shoes and hit the grains (yeah, I just coined that phrase: “hit the grains”), you will be catapulting your virgin bare feet into a chaotic, ever-changing environment that will force them to adapt. Hyperbole aside, walking barefoot in the sand is a highly effective way to strengthen your feet.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/
Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
Sam Walker

Profile:

Just to support what has been said already: I had foot pain like you describe and went to a running store with a running machine and video camera set up. They said I was over-pronating, recommended some shoes with rock-hard arch support, and thepain went away.

I was recommended some Sauconys.

You typically pay more in these stores for the shoes, but it was well worth it for me, and I think they earnt my money fair and square.