CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-15-2015, 03:53 AM   #1
Bernd Lippert

Profile:
Overgeared for lifting?

Been crossfitting for close to 2 years and pretty much paying more interest in the Olympic lifting discipline. I had the privilege to have a one on one session with a Olympic Lifter coach (zero Crossfit background) and among some of my learning points he mentioned it is seriously time I invest in a pair of dedicated Olympic lifting shoes.

I lift between 2-4 times a week depending on how sore I am. I am planning to increase this gradually this year as I am really enjoying it. I feel however that, unless a expensive shoe, gives me a considerable benefit in aiding injury prevention over the hybrid and entry level lifter I feel that I am too over geared?

Below is my list of shoes based on reviews but as mentioned the first two is maybe too much for me? I also do not want to buy another pair in a couple of months.
  1. Nike Romaleos 2 Weightlifting Shoes
  2. Adidas Adipower Weightlifting Shoes (the red ones are on special on Rogue Fitness for USD 129 at the moment)
  3. Adidas Powerlift 2.0
  4. Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0

I am very disappointed of my Nano 4 so I would like to skip any new Reebok shoes at this point if possible.

Would love to hear some real life feedback and weather the safety aspect differs by much on these shoes.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Overgeared for lifting?

The purpose of Oly shoes isn't safety. Not sure where you got that notion.

If you're going to focus on Olympic lifting, wear Oly shoes.

There's a ton of info on the web as to why, but here's one article that should help.

wfs http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-we...n-to-wear-them

- Mark
Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

It is not over gearing. They are worth the investment and will facilitate better technique.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Buy quality = buy one time for a lifetime (or just a really long time if you're rough on them)

I'm not even a weightlifter I'm a powerlifter ad I bought romaleos 2, love them, since first training session world of difference.

I would suggest buying the ones you want most I mean nike romaleos vs Adidas a reebok...at the level all the shoes are now they are all very similar with minor nuances for example Adidas fits narrow compared to nike.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Lippert View Post
Been crossfitting for close to 2 years and pretty much paying more interest in the Olympic lifting discipline. I had the privilege to have a one on one session with a Olympic Lifter coach (zero Crossfit background) and among some of my learning points he mentioned it is seriously time I invest in a pair of dedicated Olympic lifting shoes.

I lift between 2-4 times a week depending on how sore I am. I am planning to increase this gradually this year as I am really enjoying it. I feel however that, unless a expensive shoe, gives me a considerable benefit in aiding injury prevention over the hybrid and entry level lifter I feel that I am too over geared?

Below is my list of shoes based on reviews but as mentioned the first two is maybe too much for me? I also do not want to buy another pair in a couple of months.
  1. Nike Romaleos 2 Weightlifting Shoes
  2. Adidas Adipower Weightlifting Shoes (the red ones are on special on Rogue Fitness for USD 129 at the moment)
  3. Adidas Powerlift 2.0
  4. Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0

I am very disappointed of my Nano 4 so I would like to skip any new Reebok shoes at this point if possible.

Would love to hear some real life feedback and weather the safety aspect differs by much on these shoes.
As mentioned, it's not over-gearing if you're going to focus on Oly lifting. Also, in your list, Adidas Powerlift 2.0's are not really Oly focused shoes, more of a hybrid shoe really. Adidas Power Perfect II's would be more of what you're looking for.

Personally, if you can swing it, buy one of the first 2 on your list. They will last several years if you treat them right. I've had my Romaleo 1's for over 3 years now and they're still going strong and show very little wear on them!! On other weightlifting shoes I had, I've gone 4-5 years between replacing them, so you will get your money's worth.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
Dakota Base

Profile:

For some reason, many folks in many sports feel that you have to be a top level competitor to reap the benefits of optimized gear - but it's often that the reverse is true. More often, an amateur will benefit significantly more from optimized gear than an elite competitor - for example, Froning, Kalipha, or Bailey would have BIG OLY LIFTS no matter what shoe they were wearing. In contrast, considering myself as a relatively under-trained amateur compared to those guys, my poor dorsiflexion in my ankles and poor hip and shoulder mobility mean that I benefit greatly from a high drop (heel wedge) Oly shoe. Froning might not gain a single pound on his snatch max if he wore an Oly shoe, alternatively, I benefit by about 25lbs having that aid.

The difference is that newbies often don't want to justify the investment in something that they might not stick with, so they won't pay the premium for optimized gear.

That's not to say that an amateur should have all of the bells and whistles, but in the case of lifting shoes, having two pairs: a good flat and a good oly shoe - will often help a beginner more than it would help a pro.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #7
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

A cheaper option is the VS Athletics Weightlifting(WFS) shoes. I don't have much to compare to as these are the first weightlifting shoes I have ever worn. But they seem fine. It might be worth getting a cheaper pair like these. I don't think they will last as long, but you'll probably be more willing to spend the big bucks later if you decide that weightlifting shoes are worth it.

Also, consider that any time you are using weightlifting shoes you are not wearing out your WOD shoes. So assuming the weightlifting shoes are a similar price to your WOD shoes, they don't really cost you much more in the long run.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Richard Colon

Profile:

There is no point in buying something for $70 to $100 and either a) have to replace them or b) want to replace them in a year. Just save the money, wait and buy the Romaleos 2. Done.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
There is no point in buying something for $70 to $100 and either a) have to replace them or b) want to replace them in a year. Just save the money, wait and buy the Romaleos 2. Done.
What about if c) the OP isn't sure if he will be interested in Oly lifting long enough to warrant more expensive shoes or d) if he never even tries Oly shoes, he may never realize the big deal and won't ever pull the trigger on a more expensive pair?

I'm not saying cheaper shoes are the answer for OP, but they are the answer for some people. Especially starting off. Some people get overly excited and rush out to buy the best, and then their interests taper off before long.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Vs athletics?
Did you happen to notice the OP is from Namibia.
Namibia isn't actually home to Walmart, So off brand products may not be easily found.

Brand like Adidas, is pretty much a footwear stable on any planet.