CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #11
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Supplement advise, please

Chris, I would like your reasoning behind why you think someone should take BCAAs. Everything I have read shows that in trained individuals they do little to nothing as a stand alone supplement because you are getting enough in the form of food and most protein shakes have plenty as well.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Chris, I would like your reasoning behind why you think someone should take BCAAs. Everything I have read shows that in trained individuals they do little to nothing as a stand alone supplement because you are getting enough in the form of food and most protein shakes have plenty as well.
Really just a catch-all. With that said, BCAA intake pre-workout may help with energy for training (via reduced perception of fatigue etc.). Consuming a BCAA supplement will deliver them aminos quickly.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Great, concise, advice, Chris. Do you adjust those recommendations for women? I'm working with a 150 lb female CrossFitter and presumably she would need less protein than me (a 225# male), though I'm not sure if there is some other consideration, like the under/over 50 you were talking about.

And do you still use the same creatine and beta-alanine recommendations for women?

Thanks, Chris!
Thank you.

Yes, I would go with the same protein for women. This isn't about total daily intake, just a single bolus dose which helps to stimulate protein synthesis and provide the substrate for said stimulated synthesis.

I have not seen a study which differentiates between women and men for creatine or Beta-Alanine, so the same there as well..