CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
12yo gymnast hit BW+ 15x

So, we're doing strength testing right now and we'll wrap it up by May for the most part.

One of the things I'm including this time is the DL. We've done it from time to time besides in our strength programming as it requires little space compared to doing sprints or leg plyo series and is awesome exercise for developing strength not just in the PC. The focus has been safety and form and no need to go for max's, typically 3's or 5's scaled accordingly. I think even with this, none of them are going near what they could. We don't do mixed or even hook, yet. Maybe one day we'll actually start working on the O-lifts when we're set up to.

2 of my guys were missing but oh well, they were sick. 4 weren't.

One of the boys, a 12yo, either 6th or 7th, pretty slender at 71lbs and just under 5' managed to hit 78lbs for 15 reps. No bouncing, no mixed grip (haven't taught them that yet). Unfortunately, 78lbs is what have max in the gym (so I need to get about 2x that by next week). It was his first day of DLing ever and his form was very clean (I stopped him on 15 when his form started to round from the start). He has decent pull and push strength (8 PU, 15 PB dips) though isn't very good at L-sits, body levers, that sort of stuff. Fairly new to the program as he came from a recreational tumbling program. 15r in a max calculator comes out to 117/128 but at 15r it gets debateable.

A pair of brothers managed to both hit BW+ but both have done their share of DL the past year so it isn't new. It was good to see that one of the kids, not known for being strong (and he knows it) was very happy with the fact he pulled BW+. He's gonna be a tall kid as he is all limbs (and not very strong anywhere but when it comes to sprinting and SLS). Both are around 70lbs and hit 78 for reps.

Lastly, my strongest, 61lbs@4'5" and 11yo (yes, he is gymnast small and lightly built) hit 78x4 but didn't want to challenge the first kid as I think he didn't think he could match him. Max calc says that is 1.5xBW.

It was an awesome time. We weren't really using set rest periods. Do a set or try a weight, then go swing Parallel Bars or Mushroom or Pommel and wait to bounce on trampoline.

As well, I thought it would be some time before we maxed out but I clearly need more weight. Our girls at the gym enjoyed watching them and I think we need to take a video of them Deadlifting then drinking milk and eating eggs during snack break.

When we start our new strength programming, I'm thinking 1x/week of DL, besides a day of SLS/Pistols and another day to lower body plyo sounds good. We also tested Standing Long Jump and they pretty much matched or beat many of the girls (even the older taller ones).