CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Shannon Mullens

Profile:
Better Than Normal - Shannon's Log

Olord. Here we go.

Notes on me, to remind myself where I started, which was 8 years ago in such pain it was all I could do to drive to work out. Fibromyalgia sucks. Then it was martial arts - starting with Tai Chi, adding in Kung Fu, and some other things.

At 26, I had my first day without pain that I could remember.

Goal 1 is done. I breathe without pain. I walk without pain. I am not on any medications. The depression is gone. The headaches, night terrors, and everything else that came with fibromyalgia for me are gone.

I live a normal life. I go to work, I go home. I have dogs, and cats, and a husband that I love. I live a regular life with friends and family around. I can cook dinner without wanting to die from pain and exhaustion. Life is good.

Now time for Goal 2. Better than normal - exceptional. I've never been that person, but by all that is holy, I will be.

So. Crossfit started on 6/27/10 for me. I've been logging it, but not here in one cohesive place. Going to do that. Started a fitday journal too. I need to lose some weight, need to gain a lot of muscle. Lots of things to do to be better than normal.

Log from 8/6:

3 rounds for time:
500m row
30 box steps (jumps are too much right now, at least at those reps)
25 back extensions
20 deadlifts, 45 lbs.

Time: 36:13.

It sounds like I would be a plodding elephant, but I was actually going about as fast as I could. There was some time lost between exercises - I used things on both floors and both sides of the gym, and I had to wait for a bar for deadlifts once.

Today's a rest day. Thankfully.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Shannon Mullens

Profile:
Re: Better Than Normal - Shannon's Log

Sunday, Monday ran a fever both days. Generally that's my body telling me I've gone too far, done too much, need a rest. I hardly credit it, but I spent most of the day Sunday in bed, and then worked a 13-hour day on Monday and couldn't get to the gym.

Managed to get 8 and 9 burpees on 8/9 though, since I forgot to mention I'm doing a 50-Day Burpee Challenge. It's not that I couldn't slog through 100 days, but with my lack of fitness and the horrible condition of my burpees, and with my fibromyalgia practically demanding rest days now and then, I don't think I can push it without rest days for more than 50 days right now. It's a goal for the future, though.

Moving on:

8/10 - Didn't want to do the WOD today. Just...didn't. So I did Angie instead.

100 pull-ups
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
100 squats

Pull-ups: 10 sets of 10. First two sets, 90 lbs without assist, other 8, 75 lbs without assist

Push-ups: 10 sets of 10. On an incline.

Sit-ups: Unanchored

Squats: Had actually solid form now, instead of getting about halfway down and having my calves be too tight to go lower.

Time: 53:50

I would be embarassed about the time, but the last time I did Angie I did half and wanted to die. Now I'm like freaking rubber, but I did all of it. All 100. Rawr.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Today. So sore.

15 min rowing, turned it up to 10 (been doing it at 5). 2.7km.

15 min walking/jogging on an incline per the treadmill.

Worn completely out. Resting tomorrow. Friday morning I meet with Shayne who will probably introduce me to the Lord Jesus with a workout of evil. I'm looking forward to it, though I wish I hadn't set it for 8am on the first day I've taken off since March.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Rest day. Did my 12 burpees and was happy to be done. Body...needs....rest.

On the other hand, I looked it up - the difference between being able to do a Half Angie and a full Angie, and using less assists/modifications on the second one?

2 weeks.

Progress!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

8/13 - 13 burpees, a warm-up, then Fight Gone Bad

Did the same as last time (previous score = 144):

Push-press (45 lb)
Sumo High Deadlift (45 lb)
Box Jumps (10" box)
Kettlebell (1 pood)
Wallball (10 lbs)

Score: 209

Yay! I hate FGB with a fiery, burning passion, but it's certainly improving!

Also had my rowing form corrected, which means I'll be able to breathe throughout the next rowing I do.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Saturday and Sunday - spent the day moving and boxing things. No real workout, per se, but I was tiiiiired.

8/16 - Ended up working until midnight. 16 hour days are not conducive to having time to work out. I hate my job.

In other news, caught up with my burpees (doing a 50-day burpee challenge), so my workout was something like:

14-15-16 burpees (45 total) to catch up, and then 25 squats for good measure, fast as I could.

8/17 - 17 burpees this morning. When I get to the hotel I'll be doing something as well. I've decided that regardless of what the hotel gym looks like, I'm going to work out, even if that means just working on my bodyweight exercises and doing some HSPU skill practice. It's on my list of things I can't do but will.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
It's on my list of things I can't do but will.
Keep it up
Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Thanks! I'm definitely working on it!

8/18 - Woke up at 4:30am PST because I'm still on East Coast time, wondering why my dogs weren't waking me up. Then I realized I was in a @#$)*(&#$ hotel.

18 burpees.

3 Rounds:
25 push-ups (knees)
25 sit-ups (unassisted)
25 squats (good form!)

13 minutes.

Not horrible. I don't want to die, but I was winded and gasping at the end. A couple of hours later, I was good. Is this what it feels like to almost sort of kind of be in shape?

Still going - about to head out to dinner. Ate sushi today at lunch on the company dime, but other than the rice I've been dead on paleo since before I left town. The pants I bought last week when I was bloated and feeling miserable are far too big already. Oops.

Can't wait to get home and get my real WODs in again. Tomorrow I may do the same thing, but go for four rounds. Maybe. We'll see.

Oh. And HSPU practice went terribly. I am undeterred. I WILL DO THIS THING.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

More terrible HSPU practice. But since I'm kind of starting from nothing, that's about what I expected.

8/19 - 19 burpees. I'm only going to 50, so this will be over in only 31 more days. Burpee form is horrifyingly bad. HORRIFYNG. It's a good thing I don't do them when anyone's around.

Rest day, but I'm on the road and was feeling lazy, so I also did unanchored sit-ups. Mostly because I enjoy them (don't ask, I don't understand it either).

Did: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-10.

Felt pretty good all day. Tomorrow is my last day on the road with BW exercises in my hotel room, and then I'll be home at the gym to get back to mainsite WODs again. Really looking forward to that.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Uh. Goodness. I need to update more often.

8/20 was just 20 burpees, then 25 push-ups but my shoulders really hurt, 50 sit-ups, and then 25 squats. Was going to do 75 but my knees were clicking so I thought maybe figure out what was going on. I think I might need some glucosamine or something. Dunno. Squats are part of today's WOD so we'll see how that goes.

8/21 - 21 burpees. That was it.

8/22 - Nothing. At all. Re-evaluated my workout days, and I think I need to take Wednesdays and Sundays off. Also, when this 50-day challenge is done I hope never to do another burpee challenge. At least not until they're moderately comfortable, even in small doses.

8/23 - 22 + 23 burpees, 100m walking lunge. Death imminent.

My glutes hurt today, a lot. So.

Notes:

-2 months doing Crossfit now. I'm still going - it's been a struggle the last week or so, but I think I'm motivated again. I hope so anyway.

-My glutes hurt. A lot.

-I flexed my muscles yesterday and actually had shape to them, instead of laughing at my still-flabby arms. Progress!

-Somewhere in the last week I seem to have lost 4 lbs. I find I don't care much, though I am curious if that translates into body fat % loss. Before the 4 lbs, I had lost 1% body fat, so that's a start. We'll see what happens.

-I'm not making progress as quickly as I want, but I am making progress. This is good. I have to keep telling myself that...

-Getting enough protein and food and calories takes EFFORT. I had no idea I enjoyed such low-calorie food all the time, and I had no idea that knowing that would frustrate me.

-Did I mention my glutes hurt?

Ah, well. We'll see what happens today when I go to work out!