CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Jon Michael Varese

Profile:

I've been lurking on this site for over a week now and everything I've read about Crossfit has been totally informative, inspiring, and just plain great. But newbies like me be forewarned: Crossfit may disturb your sleep. I have not been going to bed until 1:00 or 2:00 AM lately because I cannot stop reading these message boards!

But seriously, today I had my first Crossfit workout with Jason "J-dog" Highbarger at the Crossfit facility in Soquel, CA. (I am one of the lucky ones who lives nearby.) It was an amazing session, a kind of combination between a workout and a runthrough of new exercises.

I did (with very, very light weight):

Row machine warm-up
Air squats
Front squats
Overhead squats
Deadlifts
Pushpresses
Wallball
Kettlebell/dumbbell swings

What an amazing session and amazing use of my legs, hips, and trunk. Of these exercise, I had only done one of them before in my life (Air squats, or squats in general). All of the other squat forms were totally new and super challenging (given that my form, for 5 years, has been totally off). As I did each exercise, I kind of felt the way I felt when I first started doing yoga. That is, I was utilizing muscles in my body that I never even knew I had. I could really feel so many different parts of my body working at once. The idea behind the "multi-joint" exercise really hits home when you do these exercises! They were a far, far cry from the isolation exercises I have been doing at the gym for years.

I was also really scared to try a lot of these movements because of past injuries, but I was able to take my time and figure out how my body was going to adapt to a particular movement. J-dog was awesome, sympathetic, and demanding all at once. And the atmosphere -- well, you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people, both staff and clientele. Everyone is in there just kind of enjoying themselves, and it's really uplifting.

So for those of you out there who are (or were I should say) like me, and are lurking on here wondering whether or not you should take the plunge, I say TAKE THE PLUNGE. It is an awesome dip!

In a year I am going to be climbing up that rope. (I'm saying that publicly so that people can hold me accountable.)

Later,

Jon Michael Varese
Santa Cruz, CA
Old 04-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
great post!

i'm another lucky santa cruzian. i'm heading over to crossfit for my first time on tuesday to get some instruction on my o-lift form. i can't wait!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Jon Michael Varese

Profile:

Patrick . . . You are going to love it. It's hard not to!