CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #11
John McCracken

Profile:
Uke, what is on the CrossFit homepage is the WOD. It is usually preceded by a CrossFit warm-up or something similar. And, if there is anything left "in the tank," then a little time afterwards is spent working on one or two extra's of your choice (i.e., OL technique, handstands, etc.)

You would do well to first review "Lynne Pitts' Official CrossFit FAQ's" which can be found on the homepage under "Friends of CrossFit" or http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm. Pay close attention to her advice in the first paragraph and read all the information in those links. If you do, you'll be off to a good start. Good Luck.

By the way, the vast majority of the information is free with the exception of the CrossFit Journal which is well worth the price.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
s. uke

Profile:  
thank you sir!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #13
Ted Socha

Profile:  
Hi S. UKE,
I just completed New agents class 03-16 in Nov last year. To answer your original question yes crossfit is for you, and you can continue to receive the WOD and work on it while at the Academy. Of course work on your weak areas but you can work through the WOD while doing the other exercises the Academy requires. It will greatly depend on who you have as your primary PT/DT instructor, some are MUCH more demanding than others, Some will fight all the time, some run long distance, some sprint and do calisthenics, it's all luck of the draw. Crossfit will prepare you for whatever or whoever you get. any questions post and I'll check this daily... Good luck! T. Socha.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:12 PM   #14
s. uke

Profile:  
wow thanks ted,

any tips about academy life? things i may have overlooked to bring, secrets, rumors...im just itching to go =D

Old 03-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #15
Ted Socha

Profile:  
Yeah,
Bring some mat shoes, people are always scrambling for those and a good mouth piece. Also, most instructors grade the push ups, pull ups and sit ups using Extremely Strict protocol, so gear yourself up for that and do exactly what they ask. Did I mention that they were EXTREMELY Strict. Drink LOTS of water, get there early on the first day and get settled in so you can have time to lower your stress level, Cortisol kills the pt test. first day is very long so try to get your rest the night before, hard to do but try. No secrets to discuss here, just do your absolute lethal best every minute of every day, keep a positive atitude and you'll be good to go!
Good luck, Ted.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #16
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

someone on here was saying the WOD did nothing on here for the 1.5 mile test score, its real good for the other events but i just cant see how doing 20 seconds on 10 off is gonna help you run 11 minutes hard non stop, the test doesnt give you all these breaks and intervals.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 AM   #17
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Franco, the Tabata interval (20s on 10s off) is very good for training the oxidative pathway in fact it has been shown (See Crossfit Journal on metabolic conditioning) that it is just as good as normal long distanve training. The main benefit of this type of training is that you do not get the muscle wasting problems inherrent with long distance running, in fact it builds muscle.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:43 AM   #18
Parth Shah

Profile:
wow! I like that first Idea of incorporating the test exercises along with every other WOD. Another suggestion would be to use the structure of a WOD, but just put in different exercises. For example using today's WOD

For time:
Run 400 meters
30 sit-ups
30 back extensions
Run 400 meters
25 sit-ups
25 back extensions
Run 400 meters
20 sit-ups
20 back extensions

Instead of the back extensions, you can do pushups. This would be a perfect WOD for you because it already includes most of the exercises for you fitness test.

Good Luck!

When you get into the FBI, be sure to let me know how I can intern. I'm going to be starting college soon so I need some nice internships.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #19
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

well sounds good on paper and theory but havent really seen anyone doing tabata intervals soley, do so well on the 1.5 mile run event.
Tabata is maybe like 4 mins or so of actual work, maybe a bit more with the rest intervals, how does that translate to running all out for 12 mins for a 1.5 mile run which is 3x the work load.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:49 AM   #20
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Franco, do you complete the WOD on a regular basis: 6 times a week? Try it for three months, your run times will improve with little LSD work. I know there is no way your are consistantly completing the WOD due to some of the statements you have made in your posts. Don't do a Crossfit hybrid, don't pick and choose exercises, just do the WOD as posted for three months. You will answer your own questions about Crossfit's ability to effect aerobic fitness parameters. However if you choose to dispute other people's advise, like Graham, take the five minutes to research your topic and support your argument. "well sounds good on paper and theory but havent really seen anyone doing tabata intervals soley, do so well on the 1.5 mile run event" just doesn't cut it as a convincing argument. I bet Coach Glassman and others have seen many people excell in the 1.5 mi run using only the Crossfit training methodolgy. I'm urging you to start training Crossfit, be your own experiment.}