CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: How strong is strong enough?

Chuck Norris is "strong enough".

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #22
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

This book might have the answer, I dunno.
wfs
Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

To me it's all dependent upon your goals.

As I age, it's less about numbers and more about work capacity and "fighting the downward slide."

We are all competitive by nature, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this stuff. And that's part of problem, in and of itself.

I wish there were some way to internalize the performance and praise others for their progress and determination in their own realms. Unfortunately, a lot of folk find some way to focus upon the negative and that's not a good thing; at least in my mind.

Either way, it's a subjective topic with an objective result. The result is the time, the weight moved, etc. The topic is a question for intraspection.

As a former powerlifter/power bodybuilder who now incorporates regular met-con into his training regimen, I wish I would have doing it all along. My real world work capacity when I was a competitive powerlifter was no way near what I can do. I honestly believe there's a lot to be said of thinking of fitness first, strength second. But I do have an over abundance of strength so I may have bias.

All the best,
Arden
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #24
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I'm strong enough.

Sorry, couldn't resist the smart-***-ness, but it's true.
I can do or find leverage to do anything I need to do to accomplish anything I WANT to do in daily life.
What I can't do, I can usually find manpower to do for me.
I can do all the things I want to be able to do without throwing my back out, pulling a muscle, or being sore for a week afterwards.

Now, when I get my pullup bar mounted, I won't be strong enough anymore until I can do pullups!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #25
David Bott

Profile:

Wow all really good posts, thanks all! I was a bit worried the vagueness of my question would just get this thread ignored hehe.

So the standard answer seems to be "get as strong as you can without scrificing other fitness capabilities" And that makes perfect sense. Plus yes I suppose in real life there isn't much we have to do these days that requires pure strength without the use of some lever/lifting aid/help from others... I couldn't ever foresee a time when one would realistically have to squat twice their BW, and that was what sparked the question to begin with.

Of course now that I have had some intelligent input, it's clear I was thinking about this all wrong, as having that strength is a means to an end to enhancing our abilities to do other things

Thanks again people.

Last edited by David Bott : 11-07-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
David Reed

Profile:

I think as crossfitters we should be less worried about how strong we are, and more about what variety of things can we do with our strength.

For example, even though they're not in the WOD's, I think planche's are beneficial. And how many bodybuilders can do a freakin' planche?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #27
David Bott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
I think as crossfitters we should be less worried about how strong we are, and more about what variety of things can we do with our strength.

For example, even though they're not in the WOD's, I think planche's are beneficial. And how many bodybuilders can do a freakin' planche?
I agree, which was kinda my point to begin with... I mean you would expect we would reach a level of strength where more isn't really going to help us do other things more. Of course this will vary from person to person depending on their individual goals... but say for a crossfitter looking for all-over activity/work related enhancement, you would think after you can deadlift 2.5 x BW you wouldn't really get alot of benefits from being able to lift even more.

I'm certainly no body builder, but I sure wish I could do a planche!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I believe Rip said it best when he said something to the effect of (and I don't have my book here, so this is a paraphrase, not direct quote) Stronger people being harder to kill than weaker people. And more useful in general.

How deep will the tank be if a guy who's 180 lbs. only has a 250lb. max back squat, a 300lb. deadlift and a .6xbw press? My guess is that a 30+round Cindy isn't going to happen, and breaking the Fran world record will be a pipe dream at best.

Within reason, stronger is always better. By within reason, I mean that a fat super heavyweight powerlifter squatting 1200 lbs. in a squat suit isn't going to have much of a tank as a flight of stairs will be too much for him.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #29
Manuel DeLeon

Profile:

A Crossfitter; who is a firm believer in non-specialized training, debating strength with a power lifter, whose training is ideally specialized. There in lays the problem. Strength is only one tenant of what we believe is fitness. No doubt this guy is strong, he is a power lifter, and he is specialized to be that way. At least, I think he is since he decided engage you about something he does very well. To counter this, tackle him with something he is not. This is like a lion debating hunting skills with a hyena...either way you look at it, both can hunt well for what they do. in our case, Both powerlifters and Crossfiters are strong. we just worry about 9 other things in addition to strength.

and Tirzah, you get to the point where you can crank out 20 reps of pull up weighted, and you won't need manpower.

Last edited by Manuel DeLeon : 11-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #30
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I need to be strong enough to tackle my opposing player, scrum and ruck powerfully, and still be fit and fast enough to run for 80 minutes. I have seen many gym rats who were so strong they could lift a house, but were dead by half-time. I've also seen marathoners who got their body broken in a tackle. I think that's why most rugby players nowadays (yes, even props) are not on either end of the spectrum.