CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Patrick T Dougherty

Profile:
Re: "Born to Run" Unintentionally Praises Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Sullivan View Post
Examples?
http://movnat.com/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

for urban settings parkour

I read the book and liked it a lot. I have tried to get other people to read it, but they say they are not into running.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Adam Acosta

Profile:

They still just run. The difference is that they have to pass over obstacles and run at a great variety of speeds and in a great variety of directions. They introduce whatever variety they can into one "modal domain:" moving your own body forward through space. Speed and agility training for soccer and football isn't much different, and none of them are CrossFit.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
I know of several workout/fitness routines that are much closer to the concept expressed in the book then Crossfit. Reading the passages didn't make me think of Crossfit at all.
I'd like to see, hear and learn from what you are referring to. Just as any crossfiter, I'd guess...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Adam Acosta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
I'd like to see, hear and learn from what you are referring to. Just as any crossfiter, I'd guess...
How about what my high school Cross Country team (Don Bosco Tech, 1996 and 1998 CIF Champions) did?

-Average of 40-60 miles per week depending upon the time of year
-At least one long run of 12-18 miles
-Generally two easy runs of 5-6 miles at a relaxed pace
-Fartleks at 5-8 miles consisting of 30-120 second randomized bursts at 5K race pace
-Speed intervals of 800-1600m at or above 5K race pace
-Tempo intervals of 100-400m at 5K race pace
-Long hilly runs of 5-7 miles
-Hill repeats of 50-200m at maximum speed with full recovery
-Daily speed and agility training: high knees for maximum cadence, bounding for maximum stride length, twisting sidesteps, running backwards, bear crawls, straight-ahead 20m sprints
-Occasional box jumps, depth jumps, and hopping up a hill (two-legged or one-legged)
-Two days a week of weight training in the offseason done in a circuit

I haven't read the book, but the description here sounds more to me like this than it does like CrossFit. No o-lifting, no powerlifting, no rings, no handstands, no kettlebells, no mixed-modality circuits, no "moving large loads long distances for time." Mixing variety into a training plan is simply what every good runner already does.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
I haven't read the book, but the description here sounds more to me like this than it does like CrossFit. No o-lifting, no powerlifting, no rings, no handstands, no kettlebells, no mixed-modality circuits, no "moving large loads long distances for time." Mixing variety into a training plan is simply what every good runner already does.
Try no training plan at all. The Tarahuamara are living, not training. They plant and harvest crops, they live simply and stress free, and they have fun. But you're right about everything else. No o-lifting, rings, kb's, etc. Plus, the diet of the Tarahuamara is anything but paleo with the amount of Pinole they consume.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #16
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

I just finished the book last week. It's not a CrossFit book. It's a book making the case against big heeled running shoes in favor of little to no shoes/barefoot running. McDougal makes a very compelling argument, and it's a very good read. It was interesting and very fun to read.

I would recommend it.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #17
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Sullivan View Post
Obviously I don't mean that McDougall was attempting to point out Crossfit under-the-radar in that passage... I was simply saying how the passage basically outlines the foundation of Crossfit.
Sounded more like Georges Hébert's Methode Naturelle to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_H%C3%A9bert (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 02-26-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Loved that book! MacDougall is a great storyteller in person, too. CFLA hosted him a while back and had him come talk about the book, running, the Tarahumara, etc. Our students loved it!

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #19
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
Google is your friend. Look at some of the cultures long before the US was around and see how they exercise then and still pretty much do so today. Very primal type fitness. You won't see any barbells, kettlebells, or people doing "Fran" for time. They use their environment for their workout.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #20
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Movnat and that Monkey Bar gym that's in Wisconsin made more sense to me during the bolded words than crossfit.

Not that it doesn't fit with what CF tries to be, but I think those two places are better examples.