CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
Exclamation Steroids, Supplementation and CrossFit

I know that we are all about functionality and results only in her "wink" but I see a few comments about looks.

I just finished watching "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" a documentary on steroids and very enlightening to say the least.

I see diets below that folks are blogging about that has supplementation in them...how many in here are CrossFitters, look super fit, and do so only with food and training...

I mean no supplementation at all, no protein drinks, no fiber supplements, nothing but food and training and can you accomplish both the internal fitness and the external looks only with food and the CrossFit protocol...

I truly want to see pics if you can, and input or are we all supplementing in some ways...thanks in advance for your comments!

As much as my clients are about improving their fitness many want to improve their body composition and looks as well...I know folks can point to a few examples of posters...our firebreathers so to speak but what about the majority...thanks again.

T
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
Re: Steroids, Supplementation and CrossFit

I see views but no comments...no ideas or not possible
Old 11-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

I have always trained for strength, power, sprinting, running, etc. I have a bit of OCD so I get obsessive about whatever but most of the time I train for strength. I did go through a bit of a running phase one time until my wife started making fun of me because I was loosing too much weight.

Anyways, I have always been of the opinion that the looks is just one of the side benefits. If you train for one or all of the above listed activities I don't see how you can be a fatass. Well, actually I do see plenty of fatass old school bodybuilder guys at the gym. But for the rest of us who gave up that "muscle and fitness" magazine mentality years ago and are following more well rounded training programs, you should look decent.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

So what's the deal with all these alleged "clients". Are they obsessed with getting a six pack or what?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

First off, I want to give a shout out for the documentary. A good presentation on the subject that doesn't try to sell you an opinion. I like very much how he tries to present the dangers of steroids in a realistic (not alarmist) manner.

I agree, Brian, that the focus should be on performance, but everyone also likes looking good, and for someone that has never felt confident in how they look I can't blame them for focusing a little disproportionately on that.

I'll step forward and post some pictures. I don't know that I look "super fit" but I'm mostly a purist and I think I look pretty darn good (more importantly, so does my girlfriend, haha). I draw my own arbitrary line at real food, with the only exception being the occasional protein drink, consumed just because it's more convenient than real food. I'd be willing to do a gallon-of-milk-a-day SS cycle (which I would need to do to become a real x-fit monster) even though I realize that this will probably mess with my body just as much as creatine or some other suppliments. I, ultimately, just don't want to think that my performance is depended on any external chemical crutch (other than quality food, I guess. I don't even like to depend on caffeine and don't drink coffee). And I hate the thought of my performance plummeting just because I ran out of NOXplode or some other chemical.

Pictures you asked for are linked below, taken today. Physique is compliments of good genetics, a background in recreational gymnastics with some boxing, and then about 3 days a week doing crossfit for the past 6-8 months (still not doing the full time 3 on 1 off. At this time with my current crazy schedule I'm not willing to make that level of commitment). Except for occasional eating out diet is pretty clean, zonish with quality food, though quantity is not actively tracked.

Classic semi-tensed ab mirror shot!
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m...oppednov08.jpg
L-Sit
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m...itnov08002.jpg
(funny how I didn't even think to take a picture showing off my crossfit sculpted quads or hamstrings. Ah well, guilty of societal bias I guess).
Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post
I mean no supplementation at all, no protein drinks, no fiber supplements, nothing but food and training and can you accomplish both the internal fitness and the external looks only with food and the CrossFit protocol...

I truly want to see pics if you can, and input or are we all supplementing in some ways...thanks in advance for your comments!
There are a few of us. I take zero supplements. No protein shakes, no fish oil, no gallon of milk a day, not even a multi-vitamin. It's too much effort (and WAY too much money) for too little benefit, IMO. I HAVE changed my dietary habits a bit, although I still eat more grains and fewer vegetables than I should.

Not comfortable posting pics, but I can say I'm 132 lbs, can pull 300 lbs on a DL, have a 32-minute as Rx'd Linda, a 6-minute mile, and am up to 24 seconds on the advanced tuck front lever. I'm no fire-breather, but I think those are respectable numbers.

Don't know my real BF%, but I know for sure it's below 10%... I error out the hand-held units half the time. Plenty of definition in legs, arms, and back. I have a 6-pack as long as I'm doing something more active than lying on the couch... as soon as it's under any sort of load it pops out. suffice it to say, I think I look pretty good.

I'm absolutely certain that if I dialed in my diet I would make significant gains in both fitness and looks, but there's a point of sanity balance. And I have a really hard time believing that I would look (or perform) any better as a result of supplementation alone. Diet first, everything else is useless until your diet is flawless.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Well, to be honest, the masses aren't going to be fire breathers with optimal body comp because of dedication, not supplementation. It takes a lot of heart to track diet on a regular basis, sleep 8-9 hours every blessed night and to be sure to maintain a rigorous training schedule with properly scheduled recovery days and deloading weeks.

It's about a number of things: Insulin control, energy balance, recovery etc. Protein shakes can help to shore up nutritional deficiencies when an athlete or weekend warrior has a hard time choking down enough eggs and meat... though they may not be optimal for health and longevity. I truly believe that when most trainees hit 45, 50, 60 or 100 and look back at their training career, the one thing they'll say is that they should have eaten more protein. Not everyone, but most.

That's actually my number one beef with the Zone at the moment... I think that the protein requirement is too low. Most CF'ers who CF 3-4 days/week could do fine with fewer carbs, a touch more fat and more protein over all. Something more like 40p, 40f, 20c in terms of percentages.

I have never understood why people would supplement with fiber unless they're doing something extreme like a protein sparing modified fast to finish leaning out or to get weight moving downwards off of a stubborn set point. Lyle McDonald's approach as well as Chris Shugart's "Velocity Diet" are the main two that come to mind, though PSMF's have been around for a while.

Otherwise, all the fiber you need can be found in a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. I think we've covered this one enough around here.

Most of us are supplementing in some way. Fish oil is the most common one. As are some of the sleep supps. like pharma gaba, ZMA, 5-htp etc. Modern stresses call for modern approaches to remedy sleep and stress.

As for creatine... there are some health benefits that may be associated with the supplement. A quick google search should turn up plenty of results, and at this point in the post I'm too lazy to do one myself. I personally could take it or leave it. In the past when I've used creatine, I had a lot of water retention and not a whole lot else in terms of performance.

So that's my long winded response and a bit of a rant.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Well, to be honest, the masses aren't going to be fire breathers with optimal body comp because of dedication, not supplementation. It takes a lot of heart to track diet on a regular basis, sleep 8-9 hours every blessed night and to be sure to maintain a rigorous training schedule with properly scheduled recovery days and deloading weeks.
I basically agree. That's me. I'm more fit than I've ever been, but with my work schedule I am simply not willing to devote all my free time to achieving an elite crossfit status. And I'm comfortable with that.

But I also don't doubt that the gains seen from some of the supplement cocktails out there are very real, and can make a pretty big difference.

Oh, btw, I do take fish oil. I don't think of that as a performance enhancer, but I suppose we all have definitions for what that means.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Not comfortable posting pics, but I can say I'm 132 lbs, can pull 300 lbs on a DL, have a 32-minute as Rx'd Linda, a 6-minute mile, and am up to 24 seconds on the advanced tuck front lever. I'm no fire-breather, but I think those are respectable numbers.
Actually, they aren't. They are pretty darn week. Consider supplementation, and why those who do a heck of a lot better than you use them. Because those things that are easily obtained and completely legal have huge benefits, and you are happy being mediocre. That is the real story.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98...rec/Before.jpg

Not what i'd look like if i WAS supplementing. But i'm quite happy to have the physique i have from being natural and crossfitting..