CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:
Exclamation "Born to Run" Unintentionally Praises Crossfit

I was reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and came across this very interesting passage where Eric Orton, McDougall's coach he hires to run a 50 mile ultramarathon, and McDougall himself incidentally describes why Crossfit is awesome:

'"The Tarahumara aren't great runners,' Eric messaged me as we began my second month of those workouts. 'They're great athletes, and those two things are very different.' Runners are assembly-line workers; they become good at one thing--moving straight ahead at a steady speed--and repeat that motion until overuse fritzes out the machinery. Athletes are Tarzans. Tarzan swims and wrestles and jumps and swings on vines. He's strong and explosive. You never know what Tarzan will do next, which is why he never gets hurt."
(bolding of font mine)

"'Your body needs to be shocked to become resilient,' Eric explained. Follow the same daily routine, and your musculoskeletal system quickly figures out how to adapt and go on autopilot. But surprise it with challenges--leap over a creek, commando-crawl under a log, sprint till your lungs are bursting--and scores of nerves and ancillary muscles are suddenly electrified into action."
(bolding of font mine again)

Amazing words.

For those of you who don't know who the Tarahumara are, or who haven't read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, do yourself a favor and read it!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Michael Ingley

Profile:
Re: "Born to Run" Unintentionally Praises Crossfit

sounds like a great read!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Laurie Smith

Profile:

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Personally I think you are reading to much into the passages.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
I'm fairly certain the word CrossFit didn't cross McDougall's mind when he was writing those words, but you can't deny the striking resemblance between some of the CrossFit philosophy and those words.

I thought the same thing when I read the book, plus the whole rant against running shoes and endorsing minimalist foot wear sounded familiar to me. In fact, that's how I head about it, as I had been CFing in my VFF's for a while when my step-dad suggested I read this book as he had read about VFF's in it.

Good read.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Obviously I don't mean that McDougall was attempting to point out Crossfit under-the-radar in that passage... I was simply saying how the passage basically outlines the foundation of Crossfit.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
I'm fairly certain the word CrossFit didn't cross McDougall's mind when he was writing those words, but you can't deny the striking resemblance between some of the CrossFit philosophy and those words.
I know of several workout/fitness routines that are much closer to the concept expressed in the book then Crossfit. Reading the passages didn't make me think of Crossfit at all.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

I don't wanna seem overly pessimistic, but McDougall seems hardly like an authority on fitness to me, and I also don't think Tarzan does double unders.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
I know of several workout/fitness routines that are much closer to the concept expressed in the book then Crossfit. Reading the passages didn't make me think of Crossfit at all.
+1

Agreed. Plus, you can technically make almost any writing appear to reflect a particular view, praising or denouncing something, depending on what position you're coming from. I read those same passages and the book when it first came out, CrossFit never came into the picture. Unless if you count the blurb on Catra Corbett, but that blurb about her was on her ultrarunning and there was still no mention of CrossFit.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Kyle Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Examples?