CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Robert Kerr

Profile:
The 100 burpee/day challange

i started doing the regular 100 burpee challange (1 burpee the first day, 2 the second, 3 the third.....100 the hundredth) about a month ago. about three weeks ago i really hurt the interior ligament on my right ankle which forced me to stop the challange and the wods that i was doing regularly. by the time my ankle was really ready to do anything i had started baseball practice and didnt really have time to go to the box and do the wods, so i decided to do the burpee challange with a little twist. 100 burpees EVERY day for 100 days. this is in an attempt to not lose everything ive gained through crossfit this winter without having the time during baseball season do to the regular wods. First of all, i will obviously lose strength, but do you guys feel that i will improve, lose, plateau or gain in overall fitness levels. second of all who's with me?! im on day 9 right now and would love the internet support of others to keep me going! a couple of thing ive been trying to do with the 100 burpees:
1. time myself every 4-6 days. I timed myself originally for the 100 burpee challange and had a 9:12. First day back from my hurt ankle (first day doing MY burpee challange) and first day back after 2 weeks without crossfit i had a 10:22, and 5 days and 500 burpees later i had a 8:32. i have yet to time myself since then.
2. When im not timing myself i try to change up the fashion in which i do them. for example, one day ill do 4 sets of 25 with large rests in between and time myself for each 25. another do ill do 10 sets of 10 with 30 seconds between each set.

If you guys have any advice let me know!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: The 100 burpee/day challange

why even do it?

A lot of these challenges are just a good way to get injured by doing an arbitrary amount of repetetive patterns every day.......If you're ankles busted up the get you're feet worked on by someone who can open up the shin and foot, a rolfer or someone similar.

WOD not enough?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

I have a better challange! 1,000 burpess every day for 1,000 days!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
why even do it?
I think the OP answered that question. He has limited time and wants to preserve his improved level of conditioning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kerr View Post
this is in an attempt to not lose everything ive gained through crossfit this winter without having the time during baseball season do to the regular wods.
To the OP, your goal is to preserve your level of conditioning, not to become the burpee king. Focus on your goal and not the tool. It sounds like you have at least 10 minutes per day to devote to conditioning. There are lots of intense conditioning workouts you could perform with your limited time. By mixing it up you will achieve better results (e.g. including some pullups in your routine will help preserve pulling strength).
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Regardless of the Marlins jumping on the Crossfit train, it's not necessarily a great thing for baseball players. Especially in-season, when your goal should be on actually playing your sport.

Leaving that time bomb of a comment to the side for a moment, I'd simply suggest playing baseball with a couple additions. I'm guessing that you're doing a fair amount of sprinting and throwing already. Do pushups regularly for scapular stability and basic strength and some rowing movements for shoulder health and you should be fine.

The 100 Day Burpee Challenge is a great way to get overuse injuries. I gave it a try and realized by maybe day 60 that I wasn't improving anymore. My conditioning and strength were stagnant at best. Not to mention the soreness and imbalances I was creating through the repetitive movement.

Am I right in assuming you're in high school or college?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Robert Kerr

Profile:

thanks for the replies that were constructive (not the ones that cleary hadn't fully read my post and who mocked it without giving advice). in response to Derek, the plateauing at around 60 was exactly the response i was watching out for. ill try to figure something out based on what ive got. motivation for me to get a pullup bar setup at my house!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I'm assuming I'm the mocking one you're refering to?

If you're injured, then you want to carefully devise a program to maintain fitness and let the injury heal..

Does 100 burpees a day sound like a program to acheive good fitness? Will it let the ankle heal? Will it overuse the internal rotators of shoulder?

I didn't initially read you whole post, because I saw ankle injury and 100 burpee challenge and put the pieces together!

In all seriousness, if you can't design a proper program to heal up and stay fit for your goals, then hire someone who can-
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
The 100 Day Burpee Challenge is a great way to get overuse injuries. I gave it a try and realized by maybe day 60 that I wasn't improving anymore. My conditioning and strength were stagnant at best. Not to mention the soreness and imbalances I was creating through the repetitive movement.
i did a 33 burpees and 33 pull-ups a day for 30 days challenge (1,000 of each in a month) over december. it was easy, so i figured a 100-a-day challenge would be more, well, challenging. however, i didn't do it, and i won't.

like you, robert (OP), i saw some nice improvements within the first week or so. but, like derek, i also stagnated about halfway through. i got bored. i wasn't getting the full range of stimuli that i needed (strength, especially, but also endurance). and, yes, by the end of the month i was feeling some warning signals of impending overuse injuries.

i also agree that variety is important in your training, as it keeps both your body and your mind fresh and ready for new challenges.

if you have a particular movement or series of movements that is integral to your sport or job or mission, then you'll need to repeat it/them frequently. even then, however, it will help to change the intensity and volume.

otherwise, the variety of movements, loads, volumes and time durations that you get in crossfit will be more beneficial (and more fun!) than doing the same thing over and over.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I think that it's Dan Gable who said if something is important, do it everyday.

During the season, Crossfitting and doing a bunch of extra workouts isn't important.

What's important is healing your hurt/injured ankle and maintaining adequate fitness for your sport. Which means that you'll need to account for adequate mobility of the hips, ankles etc. as well as the shoulder. In addition to mobility, shoulder and elbow health are of the highest priority.

What position do you play?