CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Vince Mannella

Profile:
Achilles tendonosis

Hey guys,
So I have been dealing with pretty bad achilles tendonitis, which has progressed to tendonosis, for a year and a half now. It started when I was doing a 4-day split (crosssfit/run/crossfit/run/day off). I have not been able to run, due to the pain in the tendon, for over a year now. I continue to do weightlifting and crossfit and have no pain or issues with most movements.
I have gone to numerous athletic therapists who tried stretches, massages, and acupuncture with minimal to no improvement. They diagnosed it as a movement problem due to my wearing a heavy equipment belt at work.
I have had custom orthotics made to correct my walking posture, which I also wear in my crossfit shoes, and these have improved my walking immensely.
I have been trying stretches recommended by my podiatrist but it doesn't seem to help as much as I though.

Any suggestions on here from anyone else that has had experience with this and had success in getting it to go away? With summer (hopefully) coming I'd really like to be able to run with my dog and my girlfriend again.

Thanks all.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Achilles tendonosis

If you keep going to professionals, and they keep doing the same, or similar things.....trying to decrease inflammation at the achilles; maybe that's a symptom of something else.

If you came to me with the history your wrote, I would want to look elsewhere to find out why there is so much chronic tension in your achilles.

Message me if you want a referral to someone up your direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Mannella View Post
Hey guys,
So I have been dealing with pretty bad achilles tendonitis, which has progressed to tendonosis, for a year and a half now. It started when I was doing a 4-day split (crosssfit/run/crossfit/run/day off). I have not been able to run, due to the pain in the tendon, for over a year now. I continue to do weightlifting and crossfit and have no pain or issues with most movements.
I have gone to numerous athletic therapists who tried stretches, massages, and acupuncture with minimal to no improvement. They diagnosed it as a movement problem due to my wearing a heavy equipment belt at work.
I have had custom orthotics made to correct my walking posture, which I also wear in my crossfit shoes, and these have improved my walking immensely.
I have been trying stretches recommended by my podiatrist but it doesn't seem to help as much as I though.

Any suggestions on here from anyone else that has had experience with this and had success in getting it to go away? With summer (hopefully) coming I'd really like to be able to run with my dog and my girlfriend again.

Thanks all.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Vince Mannella

Profile:
Re: Achilles tendonosis

An update:
That pain and inflammation has become so bad that my chiro has recommended not doing any "explosive" lower body stuff for at least the next 2 weeks. Thus it is with great disdain that I take a break from crossfit. Unfortunately the box jumps, power cleans, and anything else explosive was causing too much pain in recent weeks.
I have jumped onto starting strength again and hope that I can gain some muscle in my major lifts and then incorporate crossfit back in the 2 weeks.
I'm going to see a chrio with a laser tomorrow and hopefully that can reduce inflammation as well.