CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Amber Werts

Profile:
Re: Help! possible SLAP tear

Thank you. Well the Dr tested for many things and combined with the MRI results, he concluded that I have a pectoral and bicep muscle/ligament strain or sprain at the shoulder joint causing my issues. So could take 6 months to heal with limited use, if 6 months comes and goes and I still have issues...well we will see. Thank you for all the help.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Werts View Post
I have gone back to cross fit and did my first 30 pushups and hang cleans yesterday and during the work out there was no pain.
Hey Amber, I've been following your journey.

This statement in particular stands out in my head. If you're doing 30 pushups and hang cleans then your shoulder isn't doing too bad!

In younger individuals you can have some pretty nasty issues like impingement and instability yet have no problems on the imaging. The body is pretty resilient. This doesn't mean that there isn't a problem though!

I'm curious what your therapist said and what you did for your shoulder in therapy?

From reading your story it sounds like you definitely are making progress but not as quickly as you'd like. Crossfit is just tough on the shoulders in general. Some things I would do in the future:

1) Eliminate painful exercises - when you can start doing these previously painful exercises again start light and don't do them in a met-con! One of my favorite things to do is to replace painful pressing exercises (likes overhead press) with ring rows. Often times the shoulder could use some more rowing.

2) Manage training volume - maybe you've gotten to the point where you can start some pressing again in your program. This doesn't mean you can jump back on the standard crossfit program and begin using this exercise several times per week. Your healing shoulder may only be able to tolerate some light pressing once per week initially (Keep in mind the added stress of exercises we normally don't think about burpees, wall balls etc). Keep in mind the total amount of stress your shoulder takes throughout the week and gradually progress this. Keep in mind that recovery is not a linear process, some days you'll feel great. other days your shoulder will hurt!

3) Be patient. Recovery from a physical therapy perspective is not recovery enough to begin crossfit full time. There is definitely a gap there and I see a lot of frustrated people who make process in PT only to return to crossfit and get reinjured frustrated.

Wow that was a long post! I hope it helps! I write frequently about shoulder pain and cross fit frequently on my site if you want to check it out!

Here's the link
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Amber Werts

Profile:

Hey Daniel,

I am SLOWLY getting better in some areas, but others have not changed I am a person that needs answers to something that is wrong and this is part of my issue with this. Yes, I am able to do some movements, but nothing over head or anything reaching down to the ground or reaching across my body (or outside the body for that matter). Hang cleans are fine with light weight, push ups were a bad idea for me, so those are out until I am better. My therapist did a lot with my posture (it is terrible and I do have mild scoliosis in my lower back) and trying to strengthen the areas around where they thought I had an issue. They also thought I had a tear or an impingement with the clavicle some how and just this last Tuesday called to see how things were going. When I told them what my MD said (sprain versus strain of the bicep/pectoral ligaments or tendons at my shoulder), she recommended maybe a second opinion. I am doing what they taught me in therapy with strengthening/stretching everything along with VERY modified crossfit WODs. I am also using kinesiology tape as they showed me in PT, because it does help some.
I am actually doing ring rows in place of things like pull ups and push press. I am really not doing anything with my injured shoulder unless it can stay some what stabilized. I also have cut down on my weight limits that I do, when I do them. My trainers keep a pretty good eye on me and ask regularly how I am doing, and that is great. They are also very creative with coming up with things to do one armed.
All in all, I am going to get a second opinion after a few more weeks if things continue as they have. (I have done my research and will be going to someone who is more specified in sport medicine and injuries like this). I do understand this will take time, but on the other hand if something is wrong I do not want to make it worse. I will definitely check out your website!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
Amber Werts

Profile:

I also did electric stim after every PT visit along with NSAIDs and ice. I actually still do the ice and NSAIDs.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Jerol Roberts

Profile:

Any progress ?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Amber Werts

Profile:

Jerol,

I have to say no progress I have gone so back and forth with this injury words cannot even explain how I feel. I will take 2 weeks off and "baby" my arm, it will get better and as I slowly reintroduce something (even reaching for something) and BAM right back where I started! I am looking into trigger points and also a second opinion from another Dr, but I feel my next step maybe exploratory surgery and I do not want to do that if I can get answers first. But the answers are not coming...
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Are you able to sleep at night and go through your daily activities without pain? How is your strength from left to right side? How long has it been since the injury?

Last edited by Daniel Pope : 08-15-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Amber Werts

Profile:

Daniel,

I cannot sleep on my right side (the affected side). And I am able to do daily activities, but I have pain with basic things with my right arm, like driving, reaching, taking off clothes and even scrabbling eggs. (I am right handed so I can only baby it so much.) I am 4 months out from my initial injury. My strength is a hard thing to gauge because I cannot do many things without pain. I do have my ROM, but with pain with half the things I do. I will say the pain is not as bad as it was back in April/May, but I am getting used to it hurting I think is why. Time without a lot of use is helpful but not realistic (I work full time in health care). And when I slowly re-introduce something the same things are happening. I am very frustrated. I was doing pushups the other day (which was something I was able to do) then I could feel it rub and pop with pain..I immediately stopped. I am able to work with my arm directly forward in front of my body up to about shoulder height. If I go any higher it will cause pain. I have stretched, done massage therapy, taken days and weeks off...I am taking my papers from my previous MD (which are NOT very descriptive!!) to another sports medicine orthopedic surgeon and I will see when I can get into him.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Amber Werts

Profile:

Turns out I had shoulder instability along with a labarum tear. I am post op 5 weeks now from a plication and labarum repair. I was in a sling 24-7 for 4 weeks and just out this week . I am in PT and have my good days and bad. And it will be a long slow road ahead..but a second option was worth it. If anyone has any tips or tricks to help with pain and muscle fatigue that would be great!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Sean Rockett

Profile:

ice for pain relief, sleeping sitting up with recliner chair, people feel better when sling comes off as the elbow motion helps the biceps to glide and prevent stiffness in joint. stretching will be sore but eventually feel better as it loosens up joint