CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Kimberly Murphy

Profile:
Chronic IT Band Syndrome. Anyone else?

I have had what looks like IT Band Syndrome since last fall. I have tried everything. Physical therapy, stretches, taking time off, rolling with rumble roller, Volteren, Ibuprofen, etc.

I have been reading, researching, and I don't think this is ordinary ITBS. I purchased Paul Ingraham's book and found it fascinating. It sounds like my issue. I had two surgeries on this knee as a teen over 25 years ago. The 2nd surgery they did was discontinued because they found it causes arthritis. I have mild arthritis in this knee. I have constant swelling as well that worsens after using it. I ice it all the time.

Anyhow, Paul Ingraham's book is based on current research that has not yet trickled down to the medical field. Essentially these researchers believe that in cases of chronic ITBS, the problem is actually tissue growth under the IT band in the knee. The "new" ITBS surgery does not involve releasing the IT band, but rather cleaning out tissue growth in the lateral synovial recess. A very small study, but the surgery was successful in 34 out of 35 patients. They resumed their activities after 3 months. There are only 5 surgeons performing this surgery, but the book says that any orthopedic surgeon should be able to do it. It is arthroscopic.

Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone else had chronic ITBS and finally found the magic bullet? If so, I would love your feedback.

Thanks!

Kim
Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Chronic IT Band Syndrome. Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly Murphy View Post
I have had what looks like IT Band Syndrome since last fall. I have tried everything. Physical therapy, stretches, taking time off, rolling with rumble roller, Volteren, Ibuprofen, etc.

I have been reading, researching, and I don't think this is ordinary ITBS. I purchased Paul Ingraham's book and found it fascinating. It sounds like my issue. I had two surgeries on this knee as a teen over 25 years ago. The 2nd surgery they did was discontinued because they found it causes arthritis. I have mild arthritis in this knee. I have constant swelling as well that worsens after using it. I ice it all the time.

Anyhow, Paul Ingraham's book is based on current research that has not yet trickled down to the medical field. Essentially these researchers believe that in cases of chronic ITBS, the problem is actually tissue growth under the IT band in the knee. The "new" ITBS surgery does not involve releasing the IT band, but rather cleaning out tissue growth in the lateral synovial recess. A very small study, but the surgery was successful in 34 out of 35 patients. They resumed their activities after 3 months. There are only 5 surgeons performing this surgery, but the book says that any orthopedic surgeon should be able to do it. It is arthroscopic.

Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone else had chronic ITBS and finally found the magic bullet? If so, I would love your feedback.

Thanks!

Kim
Don't do the surgery! I'm guessing that most of your rehab has been addressing the ITB; when in most cases that is just the SYMPTOM; not the cause. It could be an issue with your hamstring, or more commonly glutes or adductors that are the culprit, and responsible for the pain.
You really need to find someone that understand, and truly evaluates you with the premise that your pain is just a signal that something is wrong. Many, many times the site of pain is not where the cause is.
I'm willing to bet you'll find some issues with your knees(esp. surgical one) that will be one of the causes of your current situation.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Kimberly Murphy

Profile:
Talking Re: Chronic IT Band Syndrome. Anyone else?

I wanted to update this thread in case it is helpful for someone else. My surgery is in a few days. I am not getting the IT band release surgery.

Turns out, my problem is definitely due to the knee surgery I had 20 years ago, after which I was relatively inactive. Then when I started crossfit, the constant irritation caused tissue growth under the IT Band.

But, there is more to the story. When I had my surgery 20 years ago, my IT band was severed. It actually splits in two as it approaches the knee. The tissue growth invaded this space as well. No wonder nothing was working and my problem continued to worsen over time!

My surgeon is going to do a thorough clean out (including the technique in the study -- the "new" surgery for ITBS). But, he is also going to use cadaver tissue to "bridge the gap" in my IT Band. He said that if he sews the IT Band back together that I will once again have problems with my knee cap dislocating. So, instead he will fill that void to prevent a future invasion of abnormal tissue.

It took 5 surgeons to find someone to help me. Other than the repair, my IT Band will be left intact, will not be lengthened or released. I should not experience any loss of strength.

I'm looking forward to getting back to working out and am really looking forward to being able to do squats!