CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Daniel Pope

Profile:
Any coaches here use the Functional Movement Screen?

Hey all,

Coach and physical therapist here. I believe screening and assessment is something we should probably doing as coaches. Problem is, its really tough to fit a standardized screen/assessment into a client's program when they start training at our facilities.

I was wondering if anyone here utilizes the FMS and how they fit it into their program/what do you do with the info afterward (i.e.: prescribe corrective exercise/limit the exercises the client does)

I'm in the process of writing an evidence based review of the FMS to find its best use for coaches and physical therapists:

I wanted to spark some discussion of how we can fit some more assessment and screening into our member's program with the goal of making our members less prone to injury and more efficient.

Thanks guys
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Jason Darrow

Profile:
Re: Any coaches here use the Functional Movement Screen?

I have used it. In my opinion it helped identify flexibility issues for oly lifts. I was about to concentrate on warm ups that were specific for that athlete due to the screening.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Josh Bailey

Profile:

I am a chiropractor and getting my FMS soon. I planned on using it for the fundamentals class and any one on one coaching to give clients a personalized warm up and to revisit every now and then to see progress. I'll be opening my box in the next couple months so, interested in this thread. I'm sure Brian Strump D.C. has something to say about this.

Dr. J
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I got my FMS in the summer last year. I've been using it off and on since 2006. I honestly believe reading Gray text movement and watching online videos/reading the free available info from the site is more then adequate for learning the FMS then doing the home study course like I did.

I like the idea of screening everyone but its so difficult in a group context. Also its tough to justify doing a screen when you'll be screening your athletes directly when they try the movements.

I'd really like to see some research in the fitness (and especially crossfit) population to see if the FMS does predict injury in these folks. That was kind of the point of my article series. It can predict injury in sports and military populations but we aren't exposing our clients to professional football, military training or college level soccer. We're in a more controlled environment.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Here's a nice little look at the FMS:

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index...ally_a_screen/ (WFS)

And here's a little longer and more critical look at the FMS:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/func...ent-screen.php (WFS)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Here's a nice little look at the FMS:

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index...ally_a_screen/ (WFS)

And here's a little longer and more critical look at the FMS:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/func...ent-screen.php (WFS)
Thanks for the links!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Hey all,

Last time I went over the research in the sporting world, next the military and firefighting world. Take a read and let me know what you think. Crossfit loves the military and I know that a lot of military out there use crossfit. Is the FMS a good tool in this population for our military and firefighting clientele?

Part 2

Would love to hear your feedback guys.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Josh Bailey

Profile:

Hey Dan,
Just saw this.
It seems that the FMS doesnīt look good for prediction of injury, however, this was just a test and not a test and retest correct?
So, we didnīt see if after applying exercise or mobility protocols as indicated by the FMS, that they were less likely to be injured or would have scored better and then be less likely to be injured later on?
I see it as less of a crystal ball and more of a general movement screen to work with and then point out some pre-hab to do before the wod.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Future PT student here. I start my DPT in January. Very interesting stuff. I like soaking in the movement stuff now to help me with concepts later and allowing the ability to question more deeply.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Hey I would just encourage you to follow through with and expand your efforts.

I work with injured accident victims all the time and have come to believe that postural problems developing following trauma play a huge role in long term pain and dysfunction. The great work of some physiotherapists I know has really, really helped many accident victims by correcting postural problems.

One central theory posited by Crossfit, correctly in my opinion, is that health and fitness are the same thing--the sickness, wellness, fitness continuum. I believe we need to blur the line between health and fitness even further and take that idea into the world of what is means to provide healthcare. (It is great, by the way, to see some box owners and coaches who are doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, etc.). The bottom line is that the vast majority of preventative medicine is more effectively taught and implemented through great fitness programs such as Crossfit as opposed to in the traditional doctor's office most of us are accustomed to today: preventative medicine is all about nutrition and exercise. That is what we do at Crossfit.

Focusing on proper functional movement and correcting deficiencies through Crossfit is just further preventative care in my assessment, going beyond just nutrition and basic exercise. I love the work Kelly Starret is doing on self maintenance. We need other folks to step up and really up the level of knowledge and understanding of these issues at Crossfit boxes and among coaches. That is how to take the Crossfit movement to the next level.

I have so much to say on this issue. Maybe I'll write a book someday. But I just want to encourage you to follow through with your work and expand on it. This is a really important area of study and discussion in my assessment.