CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Paul Sparke

Profile:
Gyms that say they are Crossfit

I am not exactly new to CF, but it has been more than two years since my last full-time CF membership. I live in a location that is more than 1 hour away from an affiliated gym. I have recently found a gym that advertises CF, but it is appears, to my novice eye, the instructor did not know what she was talking about. My question is two fold: 1) how can I tell if an instructor has completed a CF certification course and 2) if someone advertises as a CF workout facility is there some sort of requirement that the gym/instructor should have completed a cert course?

My experience was so bad I will not be going back to the gym. I ask not because I will be going back there, but because I am worried about the people working out there.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Gyms that say they are Crossfit

I don't think there is a level 1 cert directory, but there is s a level 2 one on the main page. Also you could ask the instructor to see a copy of their level 1 cert certificate. If they can't provide, then I wouldn't head out there.

My understanding is in order for a facility to advertise CrossFit--using that word to some extent they need to be an affiliate. Based on your experience it doesn't sound like they are an affiliate. A trainer can list his CrossFit certs but can't directly advertise CrossFit without being an affiliate. So if I opened a gym but didn't affiliate, I can't call it CrossFit Kildeer, I could call it Kildeer Strength and under my bio list that I am CrossFit trained. But then I couldn't list a class as a "CrossFit Training" but could call a class "Metcon Madness" and use CrossFit principles.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Ian Corley

Profile:

Robert is right on the use of Crossfit. You have to be an affiliate, and one of the requirments of affiliation is to have a website that is regularly updated. So you could just do a search and see if they have a site.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Sara Thomas

Profile:

Completing the Level 1 course in no way equals "knowing what you're talking about".

Just sayin'.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

you can always ask to see their certificate.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Dustin Standel

Profile:

A lot of CF affiliates aren't real CF gyms either. Just saying.

Find a gym you are comfortable in, you like the style of training, the instructors, and is genuinely interested in your health, safety, and goals. Go that gym.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)