CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Chris Vaughn

Profile:
Taking Heat For Crossfit

There seems to be a lot of snobbery going around the strength community. Some people bash geared lifters, raw lifters, Olympic lifters, bodybuilders, etc. I never thought I'd be at the receiving end.

Since I started Crossfit, I've taken a lot of jabs via the Q & A, Facebook messages, and email. Today, for example, I used 275 for quick doubles on my squat sets, and I got a couple of messages pointing out that my weight was "pathetic" and asking why I didn't use more.

Has anyone ever run into anything like this? I realize there are ******s everywhere (including some CFers), but man... who the hell cares? I've never enjoyed lifting so much. I realize that's really all that matters, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this.

By the way, I can squat 450-500 with no belt. That wasn't really the point of the WOD. It was to get work done. Not to mention I am 9 days out from a competition, so why would I work up to a near maximum weight?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:
Re: Taking Heat For Crossfit

* * *“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Matt Corley

Profile:

Chris,
Your best response is to kick the xxxx out of everyone at Proven Performance and do what you like.

Get 'er done
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I used to catch alot of grief... until people started noticing my results. Let that speak for itself, ignore the haters. Weak minded people do nothing but drag you down.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
D. Č.

Profile:
  Croatia

275? More than my 1RM

I'm pretty sure you squat more AND with better form than those who flame you.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Casey Connor

Profile:

As my HS weightlifting coach used to say...people mock what they don't understand. Anyone who openly says you are lifting like a girl has some serious self image issues. I've been lifting for 15 years now. 4 of them I was competitive on the national level. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you are at the gym you are doing better than most people out there. Tell 'em to go back to playing hide the sausage with dad.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Scott Walters

Profile:

I guess I have to respectfully disagree with some of the posters, sorry. Why bite back at all. As they say, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. Just do your thing, politely, and some will see the results. If you have not been a jerk to them they may even start asking your advice and learn from you.

The best revenge is to live well, something I think of often when I look at buddies who have previously mocked me, yet now envy me.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

as Scott says above...

let the results speak for themselves.

IMHO CF altho competitive in many ways is ultimately about you working towards being the best you can be... if you are enjoyoing the journey and meeting your requirements then who cares what others think or say.

I have got to the stage of just blocking out all those who seem to enjoy advising me to " Take it easy and don"t overdo it...." not quite adding the at your age you should at the beginning .. if they had their way it would be taking gentle strolls to the front gate for exercise ...

I am stronger, fitter, more agile and flexible than i have ever been before.. and still achieving .. that does me...

cheers

Helen
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

"Make no mistake about it, as hard as this is. As hard as this is, this is what I want to do. This is what I want to do. You know. And, some people can make fun of it. They can crack jokes, they can sit back and analyze and, you know, criticize, and make all the fun they want. But, I'm living my life. I'm doing it. What are you?" - Kai Greene, from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JntuClGOo (WFS, be sure to watch the entire video)

17 Reasons to Ignore Everybody and Follow Your Dreams:
http://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary.com/follow-dreams/ (WFS)
Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I have to agree with Tamara, even inside crossfit people judge. You do what you want and like. YOU set the example of a good person with how you act and respond.

The people who judge you are not thinking. If they knew you and your goals they would be more suportive.