CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Somsack Phanthavong

Profile:
Iron Woody Rubber Weight plates

Have any one ordered these weight plate from Iron Woody. Its about 50 cents a pound. I know its not Bumper plate but I think it might work for a garage gym.

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/woody-plates.php (WFS).
Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Jason Beck

Profile:
Re: Iron Woody Rubber Weight plates

I can't find it on the site now but I ordered an Iron Woody Weightlifting bar about 9 months ago and I'm very pleased with it. It was the cheapest bar I could find that was designed for Olympic style lifting. There is a very good spin on the bar and the knurling is superb. The only thing I don't like about it is the chrome. Its fine on the bar but its been chipping off the collars for a while now. thats small stuff for the price I paid. They also give the bar a lifetime guarantee on the spin and the bar not bending.

Overall I was extremely pleased with the product and their service.

I know the plates are different than a bar but I figured you would like some sort feedback on their equipment.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsack Phanthavong View Post
Have any one ordered these weight plate from Iron Woody. Its about 50 cents a pound. I know its not Bumper plate but I think it might work for a garage gym.

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/woody-plates.php (WFS).
Those look like the same plates that Powermax sold for a short time when they were misled about the strength of the plates, before they switched to durable bumpers. We have a few of those left from years ago. I would not recommend them for anything but bench press. In addition to not being safe to drop, because of the risk of bending they are held together with screws that loosen over time allowing the two halves of the metal plates in the center to shift which can damage your bar. Iron Woody is being very honest. They said, treat them like iron plates rather than bumper plates. They will serve their purpose if used like that. 50 cents per pound is a good price even for iron weight. However, if you want to be able to drop your weight, there are several very reasonably priced options out there.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Dustin Lorance

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
there are several very reasonably priced options out there.
Im honestly not calling you out or anything, but could i get a link for some reasonably priced options?
I was thinking of setting up a home gym, and wanted to invest in some good plates, i was looking at plates very similar to these...but if there is something of better quality at a good price, i would love toknow about it.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
William Valdez

Profile:

Thats totally bad form on that kick, Dustan. Go with Hi-Temp by Rogue.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Lorance View Post
Im honestly not calling you out or anything, but could i get a link for some reasonably priced options?
I was thinking of setting up a home gym, and wanted to invest in some good plates, i was looking at plates very similar to these...but if there is something of better quality at a good price, i would love toknow about it.
The Rogue Hi-Temp bumpers are reasonably priced when you consider what you get. Pretty much indestructable bumpers with steel inserts that will not damage your bar.

You don't need to buy a whole set of bumpers at once. You can buy a pair of 25 lb and 45 lb bumpers and be set for most CrossFit workouts. For the slow lifts and even the olympic lifts you can add steel to make up the weight as long as there is not more steel weight than rubber weight. As you get stronger, you can add more rubber as needed.

It is my opinion after having gone about it the other way, that you are better off buying quality products up front than having to replace inferior ones down the road. My wife and I bought 24 and 45 lb plates that were similar in construction to the Rogue Hi-temps, and got by with those plus steel for a long time. Then we bought some of the plates, similar to the iron woody plates that you posted. They turned out to be a waste of money. The recycled rubber, steel insert plates are still going strong in our gym, but the others were not suitable for olympic or powerlifting.

The Rogue plates are extremely reasonably priced when compared to the price of bumper plates 3-4 years ago when you had to pay $2-3 per pound to get bumpers. There is a link in my signature.