CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
John Lohry

Profile:
Home Garage Affiliates

I'm looking for pics of affiliates being operated out of one's home garage.

And if you don't mind:
- How long have you been operating your garage gym?
- How many members do you have, and how many do you typically train at a time?
- What are some of the biggest issues you've had to work around?

I recently retired from the Navy and moved back to my hometown. I have a 24'x20' garage that I'm in the process of turning into my home gym. Mainly for myself and my kids at the moment, but definitely looking to start training others as well.

Appreciate the help!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Home Garage Affiliates

Scroll to the bottom of the page. The forum links similar threads based on the title you chose for your thread. There is a lot of useful information there that may answer your questions. When I looked through those threads, I saw some links to garage affiliates with photos on their Facebook page. Most of them have outgrown their garage and now have typical affiliate locations, so you have to go way back to see garage photos.

(During the peak of Games season there was discussion on the forum that the forum layout would be updated once HQ staff weren't so busy with the Games. In case that happens soon, and the "similar threads" list disappears, I'll link the four threads here:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76351
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=64986
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=59919
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39371
All WFS.)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
John Lohry

Profile:

Thanks a lot, Chris. I actually did a search and started digging through some of the old threads. Like you said, many took a little effort working through Facebook pages to find the older images, and I was able to find some pretty nice looking home garage affiliates. It's amazing to see how some of them have grown both in terms of space and total membership.

Initially I was looking for a place to share pics under one thread, but didn't want to do so without anyone's permission.

Of those that I've found, I thought the following were pretty awesome:

CrossFit West Valley
20/20 CrossFit
CrossFit Thunderstorm
Kuskokwim CrossFit
Martinez CrossFit
CrossFit H-Town
East Ormond Beach CrossFit

Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Ralphie_Martinez

Profile:

Glad to have made your list of "pretty awesome" garage affiliates. If you need anything specifically answered we can be reached at martinezcrossfit@yahoo.com and our website is being finished as we speak martinezcrossfit.com and will be operational by weeks end (we hope). Thanks again for the mention on your list, we try to give the most with what we have to work with for our athletes.
Ralphie Martinez
Martinez CrossFit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lohry View Post
Thanks a lot, Chris. I actually did a search and started digging through some of the old threads. Like you said, many took a little effort working through Facebook pages to find the older images, and I was able to find some pretty nice looking home garage affiliates. It's amazing to see how some of them have grown both in terms of space and total membership.

Initially I was looking for a place to share pics under one thread, but didn't want to do so without anyone's permission.

Of those that I've found, I thought the following were pretty awesome:

CrossFit West Valley
20/20 CrossFit
CrossFit Thunderstorm
Kuskokwim CrossFit
Martinez CrossFit
CrossFit H-Town
East Ormond Beach CrossFit

Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Hey John! Should I answer here, or shoot it to you on Facebook!? Granted I don't qualify as an "Affiliate" though!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
John Lohry

Profile:

Hey there, Nick! I'm sorry that I totally forgot about Retro Insanity! And yes, your gym certainly qualifies. While I am looking for those gyms that are operating as a business, I guess I should have been a little more open in terms of any gym that was training a group of people out a home garage. Keep up the great work!

And everyone else back there has been enjoying some pretty decent weather. I'm happy enough with the snow we've got up here, though it does make running a little more challenging
Old 01-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
John Lohry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie_Martinez View Post
Glad to have made your list of "pretty awesome" garage affiliates. If you need anything specifically answered we can be reached at martinezcrossfit@yahoo.com and our website is being finished as we speak martinezcrossfit.com and will be operational by weeks end (we hope). Thanks again for the mention on your list, we try to give the most with what we have to work with for our athletes.
Ralphie Martinez
Martinez CrossFit
Thanks a lot Ralphie! I'll definitely shoot you an email soon. Congrats on the success and fun you all are having. I certainly like the idea of the garage start and the growth that follows as more an more people jump in compared to the idea of starting too big and then trying to find people to keep the gym afloat. I know there are plenty of boxes that had similar humble beginnings. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
John Lohry

Profile:

CrossFit OTS3 in Keller, TX has a folder depicting their pretty awesome original garage setup.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9100930&type=3 (sfw)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
John Lohry

Profile:

WOW! Now this is an incredibly professional garage affiliate!

CrossFit Obsession in Arizona.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2481782&type=3 (sfw)

They have since moved into a much larger facility.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
John Lohry

Profile:

CrossFit ADL in Boise, ID

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitADL/photos_stream (sfw)