CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Erik Glynn

Profile:
Re: Affiliate On-Ramp Program Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
You don't need an on-ramp program. Think outside the box. Do you honestly believe that everyone that walks through my doors is a well-rounded athlete. Last week we signed up a 62-yr old, his 53-yr. old wife, and another 58-yr old guy. It works if you institute athletic levels into your program.

Do you have the new-comers jump into the usual classes and learn as they go?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Richard D Thompson

Profile:

Erik, what Randy was saying is that they have classes that are broken out by ability. So there is a beginnerís class that is either less technical, scaled, has more coaching, or different programming and they have an intermediate or Level 2 class that may be more technical (and in some cases a level 3 or advanced). When someone joins the gym they are evaluated and the coach lets them know if they are good to go for intermediate, or they need to stay beginner. Most folks will self select. (ie If I think I am a beginner, I probably am). In this approach some folks may need privates to get them up to speed if they are severely deconditioned.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Erik Glynn

Profile:

Gotcha, that makes more sense now
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Glynn View Post
Gotcha, that makes more sense now
So we felt that having a specific class for just beginners may not be the way to go because what if you're L2 or L3 and can only make it for 6:30pm, but that happens to be an L1 class. So what we did, much like in martial arts, was to have intraclass leveling. One coach will take the L1 group, another will take L2 & L3 group.

L1 = beginners, recreational CFers, masters
L2 = been here for awhile, maybe came in more conditioned, more familiar with the more tech. moves, strong desire to compete in something (local 5k, CF throwdowns, etc.); still has to scale sometimes
L3 = firebreathers; pretty much can handle whatever I throw at them, competitive ambitions

We just teach L1 people the moves they need to know for that particular wod. Since moving to this model (as well as some other org. changes) we have had the best rate of new membership and retention since we opened in 2008. i actually had people breath sighs of relief when we explained the what and why behind our athletic levels.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Bryan Hood

Profile:

We do one and require that ALL members go through it before joining, for a couple reasons.
1. To give background to CrossFit. What, Why, Who, How.
2. Maintain merit of gym members so they all know everyone has gone through it and is trained in the basic movements. Everyone is trained the same way and learn to make adjustments as they progress. Decreases chance of injuries down the road.
3. Start people off right with diet, stretching, mobility, etc. Build a "tool box" they can use throughout their CF experience. Introduce them to moves they've never seen or heard of. Confidence builder.
4. Condition decommisioned athletes, fat folks, people with prior injuries nice and slow.
5. Build commeraderie among the new folks and introduce them to everyone once they are placed into General Population. As well as our trainers having a chance to get to know them on a more personal level leading to that accountability.
6. Members asked for it.

Our current template. The class starts with the instruction then a warm-up then the WOD.

Day 1 Gym Tour
Intro/CF Background
Squat
Front Squat
3 Rnds for time:
10 Squats
10 Pushups
10 Pullups
50 Jump Rope Singles

Day 2 Deadlift
Press/PushPress
3 Rounds For Time of:
5 Deadlift
10 Push Press
15 Sit-ups
500m Row

Day3 Overhead Squat
2-2-2-2-2-2-2 OHS
Thruster
4 Rounds for Time of:
5 Thruster
10 Burpees
15 KB Swing

Day4 Push-Jerk
Sumo DL High Pull
21-15-9 of:
Push-Jerk
SDHP
Knees to Elbows

Day 5 Med-Ball Clean
AMRAP in 15 minutes of:
10 Pistols (5 per leg)
5 Med Ball Cleans
5 Ring Dips

Day 6 Kipping Pullups
Butterfly Pullups
Main WOD
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Carolina Villalon

Profile:

Based on the consensus being to get rid of it you may not be interested in this but thought I would share anyways and let you decide....

http://www.cathletics.com/articles/d...Curriculum.pdf
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Matthew Wade

Profile:

Randy,
Sent you a PM about your program.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Matthew Wade

Profile:

For those of you who have implemented a levels program, how did you initially put your members into levels? We are looking to do this similar to Randy with Intra-class levels and just curious how everyone initiated the program. I'd love to get more details from those who have done this and are seeing the benefits of it. Do most of you use the levels from the original Level 4 CrossFit Arhletic levels charts or the CrossFit LA version? Make up your own?

I can e-mail more questions that I have or PM to anyone willing to share their experience.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

We run a one month/12 class program that has proven incredibly effective in my opinion. Everyone must complete at least 9 classes and up to 12 before "graduating" to regular programming. I love it. It is about 4 months old, we've gotten great feedback from new members, existing members and trainers. It allows people to learn the foundational movements safely, scale up their fitness level and keeps trainers coaching all members rather than teaching newbies from the ground up.