CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Kerry Smith

Profile:
Rhino, Box Tracker , or Zen Planner????

Who out there is familiar with the RhinoFit program for box management systems?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Scott McIntyre

Profile:
Re: Rhino, Box Tracker , or Zen Planner????

Just started using ZenPlanner, love it.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Zen Planner - easy to use - sometimes a bit frustrating - but really easy to navigate and check on things.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Ben Pate

Profile:

Hey Kerry,

I'm the Founder of Zen Planner, so please know that I'm just a little biased on this topic However, I've written on the CrossFit boards a couple of times on this same topic, and I want to give you the best direction I can.

Everyone has different needs, so I think it's really important for you to try out the actual software yourself -- and see what makes the most sense for you. You'll get more from *actually using* it than you ever will by looking at a sales presentation. When picking tools, here are some things I look for:

1) Is it easy to learn? It's no good to buy something that you can't figure out. So, it needs to make sense to you right away, without spending weeks in training.

2) Will it do what I need? On the other side, some people simplify their tools so much that they only handle idealized examples, not real-world situations. Memberships, billing, and attendance can get messy quickly, and your technology should not limit you from getting business done.

I have personally worked on Zen Planner for about 8 years now, working on the balance between these two extremes. I think Zen Planner does a really great job of making easy things easy, and not dropping the ball when things get hard.

I don't have much info about the other options you mentioned. Neither of them seems like they're quite polished or mature just yet, but that can certainly change some time in the future.

Last, computers are really dumb. So, we make sure that you can always talk to a human whenever you need. When you're evaluating software, make sure the support team (and not just the sales team) is going to be there for you. i'm really proud of what our support team is doing for Zen Planner's customers. They're consistently posting insane customer satisfaction ratings -- right now they're at a 98% positive rating (http://www.zenplanner.com/support)

Hope I'm not rambling too much. Thanks for considering us, and whatever your choice, I sincerely wish the best for your CrossFit box!

--
Ben Pate
Founder, Zen Planner
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Kerry Smith

Profile:

Yeah thanks Ben. I just started my 15 day free trial with your product. I will mess around with it as well as my head trainer. Thanks for the additional input.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Adam Morden

Profile:

Hi Kerry,

Ben had some really great points, he's a good guy and I personally used his software for 3 years before we developed Rhino. It is WAY better than Mind Body =)

I would invite you to try Rhino as well - we have a 30 day free trial, Ben is right - it's not as polished as ZP, we're still in late Beta stage, but it is very powerful and robust for the basics that you need to run a CrossFit gym. We've focused on keeping everything simple and easy to use. In short, Rhino is specifically CrossFit software, it won't track belts levels or if your class is in the "Hot Room" or regular room, but most CrossFit's don't need that.

As far as support goes, I'm available on the phone or email pretty much anytime unless I'm coaching classes, then I have to call you back =) I love to chat with other affiliates about what's working and what we can do to make our software help them build their business, or even just about ways to build their affiliate.

There's my biased answer as well =) Hope you have an awesome 2013!
Adam