CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Brett Andrus

Profile:
Warm-ups

I just wanted to ask the community out there about what they do and what they think of the following (very based on the CFWU and very scaleable) warm-up for a little variety:

Perfect 10s warm-up:

10 calories on rower
10 double-unders (consecutive)
10 second each side Samson
10 OH squats (45# bar)
10 GHD sit-ups
10 back ext (20# med ball)
10 pull-ups (dead hang)
10 dips (ring)
10 bench jumps (20")
10 KB swings (40# KB)
10 each side skater stretch
10 goblet squats (40# DB)
10 ab rolls (stand)
10 good mornings (45# bar)
10 ring rows (elevate feet)
10 push-ups (ring)
10 wall-ball (20# @ 10')
10 slam ball (20#)
10 sec each leg Samson
10 air/back squats (45# bar)
10 knees to elbows
10 supermans
10 (each side) renegade push-ups (30# DBs)
Burgener warm-up (45# bar)

Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Warm-ups

I don't do the CFWU, but that seems like alot to do for a warmup and will probably hurt your gains. My warmup is the jog i do to the gym and stretch for five minutes before i workout.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

That warm-up looks like a workout in of itself. Warm-ups are just supposed to get the blood flowing in the target muscles, not wear them out before the workout!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Travis Hall

Profile:

How long does that all take?

It seems more like a low intensity workout then a warmup...

A lot of the stuff you listed hit the same areas. For example, you really donít need supermanís, knees to elbows and ab rolls to warm up the core. One of them would be sufficient.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Brett, to tell you the truth, I consider myself warmed up with an easy to moderately paced 2K on the rower.

I do the Crossfit WU with the class when we work out together, but my personal preference is to row. It uses the entire body, gets my heart rate going, and doesn't wear me out. I feel ready to work after that.

Susie
Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

I'm the same as Susie- Nothing to complicated for a warmup. I skip rope, do some mobility drills just to get.... warmed up.
The most indepth warmup I will do is 3-5 rounds of Cindy.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Brett I'll actually go the other way than most of the responses so far, I typically jump in with pvc dislocates and some mobility drills and after that I would have no problem running through your sequence pre-WOD. I don't see an issue with it at all. I just have my security blanket of dislocates and mob drills so I personally wouldn't jump right into that (but I don't even jump right into the CFWU w/o doing my dislocates and mob drills either).

I think this is more of a style thing, some people want to feel like they've done nothing if they want to crush a WOD. I however, feel much more like crushing a WOD after I've already done some good sweating. Not sure how much my performance is affected, but really I don't care THAT much, I know the benefit is there and the intensity is UP.

e.g. I have a habit of finishing my day off (post-WOD) with the 30 MUs for time WOD. And my PR for that has come after other WODs not when I was fresh...though I think I've only done it legit fresh once.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Warm-ups are part of the workout.

The rule I follow is the shorter and more intense the workout, the longer the warm-up necessary to prepare. For an intense workout, my understanding is that you want to make sure your heart is pumping at full volume per stroke and your capillaries have fully opened up. If these physiological changes have not occurred, you will essentially complete your warm-up while doing the workout, possibly compromising performance.

It is not uncommon for people to observe, "The second set/round was easier than the first." That's because they were fully warmed up second time around.

Look at a boxer when he enters the ring. He's sweating. Heavily. And he's got the whole fight ahead of him.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Tom Ellison

Profile:

I usually go with a 500-1000m row at moderate intensity (~1:55 pace) followed by the CF warm up 2x10.

I think it's much easier/better/more efficient to do a few sets of a warmup with a smaller number of key movements than a few reps of a ton of different exercises.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Brett Andrus

Profile:

I haven't timed it yet, but on Friday, it took me about 15 minutes interspersed with setting up music and preparing the equipment for the WOD. I'll try it tomorow morning "for time" and see how I feel after. I've found it to be a nice "tonic" when I want a lower intensity workout.

You're right, Travis, a lot of the movements are repeats. I was just looking at what the CFWU hits through 3 rounds and wanted some variety and to work on some weakpoints. I also wanted to get my blood flowing more than doing calisthenics tends to. Hence the wall-ball, KB swings, jumps, etc. While routine may be the enemy, I want my body to adapt to these movements.

Susie, rowing doesn't wear you out because you are a rowing machine 200,000m in how many days?