CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:
"the outlaw doctrine"

is anybody familiar with this? A few guys in the box I used to attend come to open gym times and are following this programming...but I went to the site and can't really get a feel for what the core principles are?

Yes...I checked the FAQ and Doctrine pages, not really a lot of what to expect in terms of programming. I was able to glean that he programs to train for the games, and he uses a modified westside conjugate strength routine...but are there any other bullet points that help define this a little more clearly?

http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/
(WFS)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: "the outlaw doctrine"

There are at least a few people who post regularly in the Workout Logs section who are following his programming (including myself). I like it a lot and after starting off with mainpage WOD's for the first 3 months only to find my strength declining in certain areas and generally getting over-worked I switched to "the Outlaw Way"

The "Outlaw Doctrine" section of the linked page is pretty thorough (in my opinion) and if you follow his daily posts he does regularly explain the how's and why's behind his daily WOD's.

I train on my own at a globo with no access to an actual "coach", so maybe I don't have a proper point of reference but I've found that there is a lot of explanation provided on why he programs what he does on a daily or weekly basis.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

yah I guess Im just trying to figure out what he's following for the strength portion, and what the split is.

Also, what is his general approach for the metcons...I gathered he likes them to be 8-12 min, and acessorize the strength for the day.

Ill bet if I skimmed back through the past 3-4 weeks of wods I could figure it out....
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Most of it's followers are Games hopefuls, I believe.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trent Miller View Post
Ill bet if I skimmed back through the past 3-4 weeks of wods I could figure it out....
Yep, it would give you an idea.
I've been following it since early Dec 2011, coming back off an injury to my SI and been PR'ing lately like crazy.

Right now he's running the Hatch Squat Program, not sure what week we're in, maybe 5 or 6? Before that it was some Westside Conjugate stuff with Bands and chains. Throw in lots of oly lifting and accessory movements.

Conditioning right now is not "minimal" but from what I hear its certainly going to ramp up a lot for Regionals and we should expect to be much more conditioned hence the "out of shape" comment from the other day on the blog.

Hope this helps a bit.
FWIW, I love his approach.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Right now he's running the Hatch Squat Program, not sure what week we're in, maybe 5 or 6?

FWIW, I love his approach.
So does he like tell you in the blog posts "for the next X weeks we're going to be doing Y"?

That's actually what I'm looking for, some kind of loose framework/explanation of what he's programming around. What is the split?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
So does he like tell you in the blog posts "for the next X weeks we're going to be doing Y"?

That's actually what I'm looking for, some kind of loose framework/explanation of what he's programming around. What is the split?
Just look back a few weeks/months

He does say that at times.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
is anybody familiar with this? A few guys in the box I used to attend come to open gym times and are following this programming...but I went to the site and can't really get a feel for what the core principles are?

Yes...I checked the FAQ and Doctrine pages, not really a lot of what to expect in terms of programming. I was able to glean that he programs to train for the games, and he uses a modified westside conjugate strength routine...but are there any other bullet points that help define this a little more clearly?

http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/
(WFS)
Eric-
Rudy is a personable guy. He introduced me to CrossFit in early 2007 when he was my personal trainer at a Globo. he opened CrossFit Alexandria in July 2007. I've been a member of his gym ever since, and a trainer there since 2008. He changed the name to Outlaw in 2010, if memory serves.

Shoot him an email, and ask him what you want to ask him. I'm sure he'll give you a response.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Evan Peikon

Profile:

quick question, how does this program compare to say OPT's big dawgs stuff.
they both use super sets, and have similar looking cycles and seem to try and elicit the same effect.

but I'm not incredibly knowledgable about either, so can someone who's followed both clarify. (i think jay has done both if i recall correctly?)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
quick question, how does this program compare to say OPT's big dawgs stuff.
they both use super sets, and have similar looking cycles and seem to try and elicit the same effect.

but I'm not incredibly knowledgable about either, so can someone who's followed both clarify. (i think jay has done both if i recall correctly?)
I followed OPT for maybe 1-2 months at most back in spring/summer 2010.
I stopped because I wasn't having as much fun with it. I wanted more Crossfit.
I would probably be happier following it now, with the knowledge I've gained since then. I can't comment too much on it.
For me- I like Outlaw.