CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #31
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics vs. SS

Wow! that sounds pretty tough! and very "specific goal" oriented. I know I would burn out very quickly on that schedule. Steven, after how much time do you think one should take an easy week on this schedule? How long would you recommend to continue with these particular excercises before changing anything?
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #32
Jake Oleander

Profile:

steven is like the che of strength training. revolutionary. i really dont think theres a better way to work out than gymnastics strength for the upper body and oly and powerlifting for the lower body, used together, the results yielded are phenomenal.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #33
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Wow! that sounds pretty tough! and very "specific goal" oriented. I know I would burn out very quickly on that schedule. Steven, after how much time do you think one should take an easy week on this schedule? How long would you recommend to continue with these particular excercises before changing anything?
Hmm.. well, it really does depend on the person's level of conditioning. For total newbies it's best to put them on a 3x a week like Rip has for his SS routine. However, I think that you guys can handle more being around CF at least for a couple months if not more so I think 5/2 is fairly reasonable. Again, if you start overreaching significantly then skip a day here and there or cut back on some of the volume. It's no big deal as you're still getting a ton of work anyway.

As far as cycling goes, for people fairly new to gymnastics work I say do it like SS and just milk the gains as long as you can. Once you're fairly acquainted with the strength skills and plateauing, I've found the regular 4-6 weeks with ~7 days off (well, 4-5 light/off days maybe a metcon thrown in near the end of the week) works fairly well. Evaluation of progress and plateaus come near the end of the off week with strength testing to determine the direction in which you want to head. The next cycle can focus on the same goals if there's a long term one like planche whereas you can switch up stuff if you want.

I do the same thing with evaluating where I want to head. My log is here (wfs):

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...opic.php?t=453

And I actually just started cycling again fairly recently (summer) mainly after I graduated and am not doing gymnastics anymore (although I still obviously strength train primarily with rings). Before that I only experimented with some cycles with good progress with undulated periodization and other type of stuff. The rest week is definitely VERY helpful.

If you are actually going to look through it I suggest you start around the summer (probably about June) and go through page by page and see how I progress and evaluate accordingly.

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-26-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #34
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Steven and Mirza,
Thank you both for the excellent advice and programming posts. I have all ready started working on the progressions and am loving every minute of it, even though it can be frusturating as #$%@! I'll keep you updated on how everything is coming along throughout this arduous process. If you can think of anything else to throw my way please don't hesitate. The wealth of information I have received all ready is awesome. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Steven A: Thanks for starting this thread
Steven L & Mirza: Thank you for fleshing out the subject and breaking it down.

This may be a dense question, but Steven L what exactly do you mean by "conditioning level" when you say it is needed for the various 5/2 programs you've devised?

Based on your responses in Mirza's thread and this one, I've come up with the following for myself:

Goals:
1) Increase absolute strength in pushing, pulling, and post. chain
2) Improve Oly technique, explosiveness, and coordination
3) Perform only functional movements that will translate to CF (i.e. no bench or strict press)
4) Focus on planche, HSPU, and front lever development
5) Gain some mass but not excessive

Program:

Monday
Squat 3x5 + WU
Planche Progression Holds 15s Total
Deadlift 2x5 + WU
Planche Pushup Progression: 2x8

Tuesday
Front Lever Isometric: 15s Total
Rings Inverted hang slow eccentric to hang: 3x5s
Sprints: 3x100m

Wednesday
Squat 3x5 + WU
HSPU's: 2x6
Clean 3x5 + WU
Weighted Pullups: 2x6
Weighted Dips: 2x6

Thursday
Rest

Friday
Front Lever Isometric: 15s Total
Rings Inverted hang slow eccentric to hang: 3x5s

Saturday
Squat 3x5 + WU
DL: 1x5, 1x3, 1x1
HSPU's: 2x6

Sunday
Rest

I come from a background of more traditional sports training (basketball, tennis), with no gymnastics or Oly lifting and have been doing CF WOD's on the 3/1 schedule for 6 months. I'm aware the gains in my legs will hinder my planche and lever progression, but I'm simply looking for balance. What is your take on the exercises and the volume? Do you think this combination overly taxes any one area or is it a good place to start?
Thanks
-Tom
Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #36
Jake Oleander

Profile:

i like it. looks a lot like what i do. youre doing squats 3x a week, you should probably mix them up from time to time with front squat, box squat, chains, bands, etc. key is to keep improving though and you have to find what works for you. so if this particular routine isnt working well don't be scared to mix things up just keep the volume high and you will see improvement.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #37
Steven Low

Profile:

Looks fine to me... adjust the volume as needed.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #38
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
lol, that's not it either.

Here it is wfs
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...pic.php?t=1037

In any case, we can scale it to your conditioning level. Mirza's was a bit too much granted I thought he could handle it. This is a big problem with contructing routines on the internet because you don't know the level of conditioning of the person you're making something for. Theoretically, we can scale down his workout more to the point where he can do it fine, but he wants to go pure SS now which is also fine.
Excellent stuff in that post. When's the book coming out?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #39
Steven Low

Profile:

Pshh, there's already more comprehensive books on the subject. :\
Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #40
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Pshh, there's already more comprehensive books on the subject. :\
That may be, but the article is a great quick read for anyone who has never put together a workout before.

"Optimally strength is gained by training with high frequency, not-to-failure with heavy weight and low repetitions." - Steven Low

That may be an obvious statement to many on these boards but there isn't a single part of that sentence that I knew to be a fact 6 months ago. Thanks again for the words of wisdom and continuing education, Steven.