CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #1
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi,

Just started going to adult gymnastic session. The class is ok and the coaches are well qualified it's just they leave you more or less to your own devices. Wondering what type of excercises I should be asking for.
Thank Matt. I
Old 02-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
Jon Pappas

Profile:
I too have been wanting to take an adult gymnatics class. The October 2002 and Feb. 2003 CrossFit Journal explain the different gymnastics movements used and benchmarks to shoot for, but here they are;

Air Squat
Pull-up
Push-up
Dip
Handstand Push-up
Robe Climb
Muscle-up
Press to Handstand
Back Extension
L-hold
Piroutte
Jumps
Lunges
Old 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Matt,
Very cool. I take a gymnastics class at school, joined the Gymnastics Club and just yesterday started taking classes at a local club. It's an envious situation, I know:-)
Definitely just start out with the basics:
Forward and backward rolls.
Handstand
Cartwheel
Roundoff
Hurdle
Bridging and general flexibility work
All of the CrossFit gymnastics elements

These are some of the basics that you should probably learn before moving onto back extension rolls, back handsprings, back tucks and other more advanced moves.
Enjoy the gymnastics. I can say that I am definitely addicted to it. I need to get over my fear of power tumbling. My round-offs are so weak and short, but they're getting better. I've only been training for about 5 weeks and I've done the basics up to a back handspring, so things are going pretty well.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 AM   #4
Coach

Profile:

You guys just made my day! This entire domain is so largely ignored that it might as well not exist in terms of impact, and yet the return is absolutely unbelievable!!

This arena - gymnastics - is exactly the perfect adjunct to weightlifting and, yes, throwing. Not running, cycling, etc, but gymnastics. When we combine the weightlifting elements with the gymnastics elements in high intensity circuits the result is the best kind of "cardio" ever - blows monostructural "cardio" away.

Keep it up!

Coach
Old 03-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
WOOHOO!!!! Everyone should do gymnastics. I coach an adult gymnastics class and it is an absolute blast. I've got a guy who started at 46 and is doing great. So you are never too old. He's got one of the best flyaways (Back flip off the high bar) in the gym. Find your local gym and see if they have an adult class, if they don't ask em to start one!! Gymnastics in the US is greatly overlooked and needs support for this ultimate of all sports (yes I'm biased) to survive.