CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Todd Neal

Profile:
What can low-carb (ketosis) do for you?

I was re-reading a lot of Peter Attia's research and I cam across this "simple" explanation of what being in ketosis can do for you. It's worth keeping in mind because I know there's a lot of back and forth as to whether or not ketosis can or should help CrossFit athletes. So here's what he says:

"...the answers to these questions are probably as follows:

Does ketosis enhance aerobic capacity? Likely
Does ketosis enhance anaerobic power? No
Does ketosis enhance muscular strength? Unlikely
Does ketosis enhance muscular endurance? Likely"
I'd like to note that he says "probably." Here's the full article if anyone's interested (wfs):
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/k...-state-part-ii
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: What can low-carb (ketosis) do for you?

So if you want to get strong and jacked, ketosis probably isn't a good way to go? That's my take away.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

Go to PubMed and search for low-glycogen training. Here is one sample:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000473.htm

"Recent studies suggest that carbohydrate restriction can improve the training-induced adaptation of muscle oxidative capacity. However, the importance of low muscle glycogen on the molecular signaling of mitochondrial biogenesis remains unclear. Here, we compare the effects of exercise with low (LG) and normal (NG) glycogen on different molecular factors involved in the regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis."
We conclude that exercise with low glycogen levels amplifies the expression of the major genetic marker for mitochondrial biogenesis in highly trained cyclists. The results suggest that low glycogen exercise may be beneficial for improving muscle oxidative capacity.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
So if you want to get strong and jacked, ketosis probably isn't a good way to go? That's my take away.
I think I'd modify this to say that ketosis isn't the BEST way to go (if you want to be strong and jacked). It certainly wouldn't keep me from recommending it to the average Joe CrossFitter however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dreyzen View Post
Recent studies suggest that carbohydrate restriction can improve the training-induced adaptation of muscle oxidative capacity.
I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here, other than it seems to be more evidence for ketosis enhancing aerobic capacity and not power or strength. Then again, are we even sure that carb restriction leads to low muscle glycogen? Your body can use protein for neoglucogenesis, and it can convert glycerol from fat into glucose, so I don't see why this would be the case.

Last edited by Todd Neal : 09-25-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Your body can use protein for neoglucogenesis, and it can convert glycerol from fat into glucose, so I don't see why this would be the case.
As Peter Attia said, this is a long and energy demanding process. In other words, when you want to recover ASAP (replenish glycogen), carbs are the only way to do it.
But "good" carbs, something like SuperStarch might be a good idea.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here, other than it seems to be more evidence for ketosis enhancing aerobic capacity and not power or strength. Then again, are we even sure that carb restriction leads to low muscle glycogen? Your body can use protein for neoglucogenesis, and it can convert glycerol from fat into glucose, so I don't see why this would be the case.
Only around 130-160g of glucose can be produced per day by gluconeogenesis. That's enough to maintain essential metabolic processes but it's not enough to fuel exercise or replenish glycogen stores.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

what ketosis can't do is make me forget how much i love pizza, gumbo, pie, and pasta.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Only around 130-160g of glucose can be produced per day by gluconeogenesis. That's enough to maintain essential metabolic processes but it's not enough to fuel exercise or replenish glycogen stores.
That is correct Darryl. But how much more carbs do one really needs to fuel exerice and replenish glycogen stores? I doubt it very much that 200, 300, 400 or even 500g of carbs is needed (the amount that many people do).

Do you know how one can roughly calculate how much carbs are needed to replenish glycogen back to 100% ?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

This is an interesting article, unfortunately it seems to only be based on endurance athletes.

http://www.nutrition411.com/ce_pdf/C...orExercise.pdf (WFS)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
That is correct Darryl. But how much more carbs do one really needs to fuel exerice and replenish glycogen stores? I doubt it very much that 200, 300, 400 or even 500g of carbs is needed (the amount that many people do).

Do you know how one can roughly calculate how much carbs are needed to replenish glycogen back to 100% ?
Recommendation of carbohydrate intake for athletes is 5-10g/kg of bodyweight with 7 being a good estimate and 5 being on the lower side.