CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Eva Beasley

Profile:
Tips Needed for Weight Loss for Competition

Hi CF Community:

I was wondering if you can please provide me with some advice. I entered my first StrongMan competition as a Novice, however, right now I'm in the higher weight category which is not ideal since the starting weights for Farmer's Carry and Atlas Stone are bit unobtainable. That being said, my goal is to be in the lower weight category.

As of today I have about 9 lbs to lose by May 29th. Is this possible? Currently I'm supposed to be eating 1613 calories a day but I barely reach that. I usually consume anywhere from 1200 - 1400 per day.

I started my "diet" if you want to call it that a month ago, and lose about a lb per week on average.

My macros tend to be good some days but a little out of whack other days. They include 35% carbs, 35% fat, and 30% protein.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

~Eva
Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: Tips Needed for Weight Loss for Competition

You can lose a few pounds just by water weight.

You will naturally lose about a pound overnight. Then you can take a sauna before weigh-ins and lose another 1-2 lbs.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Beasley View Post
Hi CF Community:

I was wondering if you can please provide me with some advice. I entered my first StrongMan competition as a Novice, however, right now I'm in the higher weight category which is not ideal since the starting weights for Farmer's Carry and Atlas Stone are bit unobtainable. That being said, my goal is to be in the lower weight category.

As of today I have about 9 lbs to lose by May 29th. Is this possible? Currently I'm supposed to be eating 1613 calories a day but I barely reach that. I usually consume anywhere from 1200 - 1400 per day.

I started my "diet" if you want to call it that a month ago, and lose about a lb per week on average.

My macros tend to be good some days but a little out of whack other days. They include 35% carbs, 35% fat, and 30% protein.

~Eva
Keep your carbohydrate intake relatively high at around 5-8g per KG of bodyweight per day to fuel training and spare protein, aim for a protein intake of around 1.2-1.5g per KG of ideal bodyweight per day, and create a calorie deficit by reducing your fat intake.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Weight Loss.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Making Weight in Weight Category Sports.

*All links wfs*
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Keep your carbohydrate intake relatively high at around 5-8g per KG of bodyweight per day to fuel training
Out of interest, what kinda training would one need to do to burn 400 - 640g of carbs, assuming OP is a female, a strongman contender, a wild guess - 80kg weight. I cant imagine strength training taking so much out of a person with this facts in mind:

Quote:
So if you did a workout containing 24 work sets, you’d only need about 60 extra grams (24 sets * 5 grams/2 sets = 60 grams) of carbohydrate to replace the glycogen used. So if you were starting at the bare minimum of 50 grams per day and were doing roughly 24 sets/workout, you’d need to consume an additional 60 grams (total 110 grams/day) to cover it. If you didn’t function well in ketosis and were starting at the 100-120 g/day, you’d increase to 160-180 g/day. I’d note that, for the average male lifter, this works out to about 1 g/lb or ~2 g/kg lean body mass carbohydrate per day
If Id be OP...keep carbs at bare minimum, just enough to fuel the workouts (see upper quote) and get the needed calories from fats. this might be a bit harder thou if a person is a long time "high carber" and his/her cell metabolism is based almost solely on carbs and not fats (as it suppose to be)

My personal experience from last month or two is that I've lost 4kg of body weight in a month (which is about 9lbs if im not mistaken) and lost an average 4% of my strength. But I was also absent from training.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Out of interest, what kinda training would one need to do to burn 400 - 640g of carbs, assuming OP is a female, a strongman contender, a wild guess - 80kg weight. I cant imagine strength training taking so much out of a person with this facts in mind:

If Id be OP...keep carbs at bare minimum, just enough to fuel the workouts (see upper quote) and get the needed calories from fats. this might be a bit harder thou if a person is a long time "high carber" and his/her cell metabolism is based almost solely on carbs and not fats (as it suppose to be)
Research has consistently shown that athletes engaged in any form of physically demanding training or competition require a high intake of carbohydrates if they are to achieve peak levels of performance. This is why all major national and international health organisations and sports governing bodies recommend that athletes consume a high carbohydrate diet.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

IOC Consensus Statement on Sports Nutrition 2010.

IOC - Nutrition for Athletes.

IAAF - Nutrition for Athletics: The 2007 IAAF Consensus Statement.

IAAF - Practical Guide to Nutrition.

AIS Sport Nutrition Factsheets.

Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute Factsheet: Food For Sport.

Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation - Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition: The Role of Carbohydrates in Exercise and Physical Performance.

Substrate utilization during exercise in active people.
Edward F Coyle. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;61(suppl):968S-79S.

*All links wfs*
Old 04-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Beasley View Post
Hi CF Community:

~Eva
When is the weigh-in relative to the competition?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Research has consistently shown that athletes engaged in any form of physically demanding training or competition require a high intake of carbohydrates if they are to achieve peak levels of performance. This is why all major national and international health organisations and sports governing bodies recommend that athletes consume a high carbohydrate diet.
We dont know enough about OP to go that route, is she(?) a pro athlete or a semi one or just a novince?

Interesting, latest, research on this topic...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25811132 WFS

Quote:
This is the first study to show that a short-term 'train low, compete high' intervention can improve whole-body exercise capacity. Further research is needed to determine whether this type of manipulation can also enhance performance in highly-trained subjects.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
We dont know enough about OP to go that route, is she(?) a pro athlete or a semi one or just a novince?

It takes more than one study, or even a handful of studies, to overturn a scientific consensus.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Eva Beasley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
When is the weigh-in relative to the competition?
The weigh-in is the afternoon before the competition so on May 29th.

I am just getting frustrated since it takes a week to lose a pound & then sometimes I gain it back a few days later.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Eva Beasley

Profile:

Quote:

I am not a pro athlete by any means. Just a novice. This is my 1st Strongman. I also partake in CrossFit at least 3-4 times per week.

Thanks!