CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
Matt Early

Profile:
My son is in 8th grade and wants to play High School football next year. I want to help him get in shape. So I am trying to introduce him to crossfit style workouts 3 to 4 days a week any suggestions? Should I refrain from powerlifting exercises at this age?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Matt,
The short answer is CrossFit is great for kids, and no he should'nt avoid lifting. We have been running a kids program for a couple of years with outstanding results. Check out our website, www.CrossFitKids.com. We also have a monthly magazine that has a lot of info for parents wanting to help their kids get started in Crossfit.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Jeff might be too modest to mention his own sons results with Crossfit. But they are nothing short of spectacular. CF creates monsters(healthy, fit, well-mannered monsters).
Old 11-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i have two 13 year olds and a 12 year old...they go at it with a vengeance and kick my butt in everything but pounds lifted. pound for pound they pretty much just kick my butt all around. they're extremely active in other areas, so i don't try to keep them on a strict crossfit schedule, but often i take them to the gym with me or we go out to the garage at night when the schedules permit. be sure to supervise the lifting and drill into his head that certain lifts are more useful than others (crossfit lifts and not necessarily the ones his peers talk about at school) and proper technique is #1, or he might spend half his time trying to max out on curls and bench press.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Matt Early

Profile:
Thank you for the advice I let him read the comments and he is excited.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Monsters? Coach calls them Frankenfitters.
Kids that grow up doing this will be way ahead of their peers in athletic development. This past year we had a story from one of our Crossfit Kids regarding fitness testing. They were given the choice of either doing pull ups or hang for time. Our young Crossfitter was the first in the class to go and hammered out 35 pull ups. EVERY other kid chose to do hang for time.
We had another kid who had been CrossFitting with us for the last two years. As a Freshman he made the varsity soccer team and was voted Co-captain. It is one thing for a 14 year old to have the ball handling skills to play with the older kids but to physically be able to play with 17 and 18 year olds is amazing.
Our 15 year old Connor, weighs only 120#'s recently turned in a 5:12 Fran with the Rx'd weight. He wrestles and his coach has been so impressed with his strength and conditioning that he is now crossfitting with us.
Wait till you see the group of 8 year olds we have coming up.:lol:
Old 11-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
Jeff, i think what your doing is a great service to the youth. i my self will be starting my 8 year old this winter break on CF. he is getting stronger due to Judo and is exited to start the WODs, well see how he likes them after a few of 'em. I have talked so muchabout CF to his(and mine) judo Sensei that he got interested in it for his classes, i directed him to your site and the CF kids site also, he downloaded the free issue and was sold, keep at it!

Rafael
Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
Eric Abel

Profile:
Jeff, I have a 7 year old in Taekwondo, we do all the body weight exercises together but no Ol's or any free weights. Is there limitations to what your younger students do with the OL's & free weights?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Eric, just emphasize technique, technique, technique. Strength will come - just don't test for it too soon or too often.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Eric Abel

Profile:
Thanks Veronica. Sounds like a plan. I had always heard that younger children should not lift weights. Never thought that made sense.