CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Matthew Klein

Profile:
Thinking about Starting Strength..

So I'm 18, soon to be 19, 5'11, and between 180-185lbs. I played football for 4 years for a very small high school during which we went through a terribly poor weight training program. Then, at the end of my senior season, I found Crossfit. I've been doing mainpage for about 6 months. About 4 months into it, I decided that I wasn't strong enough, but didn't want to leave for a pure strength cycle, so I did CFSB with which I made welcome gains and maintained my metcon. But they weren't enough. Now, after 2 more months of the main page Crossfit, I'm feeling the same way I did before. I have a 375 deadlift, 295 back squat, and around 155-160 shoulder press. Throughout the workouts, I've been having to continually scale down weights, cut reps, etc. not because I'm out of breath, but because I can't continue to lift the weight. I know I want more strength. And I'm not worried about losing my metcon, I have no issues or problems with gaining it back afterwards. At 19, having weightlifted for 4 years, and at 185lbs with about between 15% and 20% body fat, will I still see gains in these lifts, or will I just get fat?

Last edited by Matthew Klein : 08-20-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Thinking about Starting Strength..

I mean, doing SS... you'll probably see gains. But you have pretty good numbers to begin with.

If you have no problem losing your metcon, and you're looking to get stronger, this seems to be your answer. Do SS for at least 8 weeks, eat as much as you possibly can (good food though, maybe GOMAD?), and re-evaluate. If you gains stop going up in a linear fashion, then try resetting and starting again.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Matthew Klein

Profile:

Well, I'm looking for at least a 400+ deadlift and a bodyweight press, and then however high I can get my squat. I know compared to some, my numbers are good, but compared to others, they're crappy. I have a hard time just settling for average. I just really don't want to gain too much weight doing Starting Strength, so I guess the answer I'm looking for is whether or not I can maintain my current weight, but still put up said numbers.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Randy Hill

Profile:

A lot of people contribute their success on SS to their extreme eating and weight gain. It's hard to back squat 3x a week without eating a **** ton of food and doing everything you can to recover.

Last edited by Randy Hill : 08-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Matthew Klein

Profile:

It's just that I see a lot of people at my weight putting up numbers much higher than mine, which leads me to believe that it is possible to get that strong at my current weight. I don't know, maybe CFSB is my answer, but I'm still hoping SS is.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Randy Hill

Profile:

Well as you know, it's called "Starting" Strength and is designed for those who are not very adapted to training like that. So it might not work the same for you if you are having trouble adding 5+ lbs. to the bar each time. Of course even the novice will eventually have to micro load.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

SS may work for you, but it will probably not work for very long because (a) you already are relatively strong and (b) you probably aren't going to eat enough. If you can get a month's worth of linear gains, it may be worth it though if pure strength is what you are after. Go ahead and buy Practical Programming now because you are going to need it very soon.

I say do SS because it sounds like that's what you want to do and getting stronger is a good thing. Just don't expect 4 months of progress.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Klein View Post
will I still see gains in these lifts, or will I just get fat?
These are not mutually exclusive options, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
SS may work for you, but it will probably not work for very long because . . . you probably aren't going to eat enough.
This is the bottom line. That program works great IF people eat like it's their job. You are demanding a LOT of your body--in most cases you are telling it to squat 15 more lbs than last week, EVERY WEEK--and to do that you have to prime it for maximum recovery: i.e. no or very little metcon/extra work, lots of sleep, and tons of food. You lose one leg of that tripod and you probably won't get very far (some people do, but not too many).

So, SS will help you get stronger AND bigger. If you only want one of those, I'd say CF Strength Bias or CF football. Jeff Martin has had great success getting his son Connor stronger but not too much heavier (we're talking 150# kid squatting 310x5 ) but it's taken years of dedicated training.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Matt Corley

Profile:

Have you thought about Crossfit Football programming? Or maybe Wendler's 5/3/1 w/ heavy met-con on occassionally?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Klein View Post
It's just that I see a lot of people at my weight putting up numbers much higher than mine, which leads me to believe that it is possible to get that strong at my current weight.

I want to comment on this comment. You have only been seriously focused on strength training for a few months. You cannot expect to be better than people who have focused on this stuff for years in only a couple months of training. If it were that easy everyone would have 700# deadlifts. Sorry, but it's hard. Sticking with a program is going to be your best bet. Pick a program based on your goals and stick with it until it stops working. Then do something else.

Last edited by Kevin Thomas : 08-21-2009 at 06:47 AM.