CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Harrison Holtz

Profile:
New to CF, learning Olympic Lifts?

I'd love to join a box if I could, but I really just can't afford it right now. I've never done CrossFit before, nor do I have any experience cleaning or snatching. I'd love to get into CrossFit from my garage, but what's the best way to go about learning to clean and snatch without any coaching?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Oli Kellett

Profile:
Re: New to CF, learning Olympic Lifts?

So hold off until you can see a coach would be my recommendation.

Otherwise Greg Everett has some decent stuff online somewhere.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Hakon Lehmann

Profile:

Same problem here.

Can't afford a box and don't know anyone showing me how to snatch, clean etc.

Just watched some videos online but its still hard to try a snatch in a globo gym without being allowed to drop the weight. So currently its about some deadlifts, push presses ( light weight so im safe about dropping), squats and benching. Ofc all kind of bodyweight stuff.

U guys have maybe any other tips how to train well without box or coach ?

Greetings
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

My advice is basically the same as Oli's. Most boxes give a free workout session to anyone looking to try it out. Most boxes also have some sort of lifting program involving the olympic lifts(they all SHOULD!), sometimes as part of the workout or sometimes as individual classes specializing in one movement at a time. I say go to one of those sessions and have a coach guide you through the movement and show you things to be cautious about and check your form. OLY lifts are the most technical and definitely are not learned over night.

So my advice is go for a free session and get the jist of the lifts, and then go back once every couple of weeks and pay a few bucks for a short session with the coach to make sure youre doing everything correctly. Its easy to hurt yourself doing the OLY lifts, especially if your mobility isnt great. Most coaches only charge 20-30 bucks an hour for a private session, so sure you could afford that once a month or every other month? Good luck guys
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Allen R Griffin

Profile:

There are many great videos on the CF website FAQ section. Then you can video yourself to compare. Many suggest starting with broom handle, PVC pipe or empty bar until you get the form down properly.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well, you can check out the various videos on the CrossFit video section on the mainpage, or the CrossFitJournal (a whole bunch by Burgener and others), or Greg Everett and Catalyst/Performance or GlennPendlay on his youtube or Don McCauley on youtube or a bunch of various others on youtube.

Grab a stick and work a lot of the various snatch drills. Sticks don't work as well for the clean but they'll do. They work just for the jerk.

You can be doing these drills and with a bar with no weight on it at the globo gym. Especially as you won't be dropping it at this point.

If you can record some video, you can upload it to youtube and at least upload it to the digital coaching.

Something is better than nothing. And honestly if I had been doing that options 16 years ago, I'd be way better off. We barely got any instruction much less video and drills.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
David Lauzurique

Profile:

Like Blair said, if you can record yourself and upload videos and post them here, people can help you.

I just recently started learning the oly lifts, and still learning. I've watched so many videos and read so many articles on the lifts. Plus, I've uploaded videos on my youtube channel and posted them here so people can give me feed back. It's helped a lot!
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Harrison Holtz

Profile:

Thanks for the replys, i'll definitely start posting videos once I get set up and find out if I can get some 1 on 1 from the box near me.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would look locally for some olympic lifting clinics, probably run out of a CF box.

As for $20-30/hr...I really doubt you are gonna get personal 1 on 1 sessions for that much. I'd guess most CF coaches would start at $40-50/hr.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

I don't know how I would have learned Olympic lifts without someone showing me. It is nice to have someone be able to see what you are doing and tell you how to fix it before the next set. I do snatch Drills everyday with PVC or the bar and I still suck at getting a full snatch. I can power snatch and power clean more than I can snatch or clean, I can get the bar high enough, I just can't drop fast enough.