CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #51
Mirza Besic

Profile:
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Steven FYI I've started a log of your workout as Rx'd; feel free to comment as I'm progressing with it and give me some tips. I'll be pretty detailed and i'll try to update often!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 AM   #52
Timothy Walsh

Profile:

Just to add something Mirza. I was chatting with a co worker the other day. He is about 5'11" and 185 lbs, he said he use to be very skinny around 145 lbs. He went and talked to a nutritionist then started working out and eating 7000 calories a day. Needless to say he ballooned up to 225 lbs. Then slowly trimmed down to where he is now.

Now i dont know about you, but 7000 calories a day seems excessive unless you are looking to be one of the those worlds strongest men. Im about the same height and around 160, for me pushing just over 4000 cals a day seems alot.

Last edited by Timothy Walsh : 12-11-2007 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:01 AM   #53
Mirza Besic

Profile:

I don't think I could digest the food fast enough to fit that much food into my stomach. Unless I drank like a galon of milk as well as a 4000 calorie diet then I guess it would be more possible.

I'm not counting calories, all I'm doing right now is trying to get as many complex carbs as well as protein in my body and I try to eyeball a good amount of good fats. I THINK i'm around 3000-4000 calories and this is eating almost non-stop.

Personally I think 7000 calories is a bit too much and the benefits in the 3000 extra callories would be next to nothing compared to the fat gain caused by it.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #54
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Gould View Post
From USA Gymnastics Online:

"Muscle hypertrophy training must therefore be very judiciously used in gymnastics training. As hard as it is to loose a pound of fat through correct diet and exercise, a pound of excess muscle is comparatively impossible to loose and still maintain fitness. Muscles that are not absolutely essential for gymnastics should not be hypertrophied. The important muscles for gymnastics need to be hypertrophied, but only within strict limits.

Not only will exaggerated muscle hypertrophy training ruin the gymnast's power-to-weight ratio or relative strength, muscle hypertrophy training may also make the gymnast slower."- (wfs)

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/public...-training.html

Define your goals dude. If you want to be really big, that's one thing. Building gymnastic strength is something else. Gaining 35 pounds of muscle is very likely to hurt you a lot more than it helps you when it comes to bodyweight moves, especially because the strength training and eating components of gaining large amounts of mass don't line up with gymnastic strength very well.
Oliver, thanks for the link to the aritcle, great read. I am however, trying to go in the opposite direction of the "150lb. to 190lb." guy. I am about 170lbs right now and would like to get back to approx 155-160. The approx. 10-15lbs I have put on over the past two years has done absolutely nothing to improve my fitness level. Actually, I feel slower, obviously look bigger and it has hindered my progressions on the planches, levers and such, all of which are more important to me than being big and lifting heavy weight. I am 5'9" and I would much rather be 155lbs and be quick and light but be able to hold some planches and levers with greater ease. I read in the aritcle that it is almost impossible to loose a pound of muscle without losing fitness and that is a concern of mine. I would certainly like to lose a lot of the bulk I have put on but definatley do not want to lose fitness. Any suggestions fellas?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #55
Steven Low

Profile:

Is the stuff you put on muscle or fat?

Because you can definitely cut off muscle.. that by itself isn't too hard but there's usually associated strength loss as well. The good part though is you can retrain muscles after you've slimmed down.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #56
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Is the stuff you put on muscle or fat?

Because you can definitely cut off muscle.. that by itself isn't too hard but there's usually associated strength loss as well. The good part though is you can retrain muscles after you've slimmed down.
Steven, it is in fact mostly muscle with I'm sure some fat. I know I can't just put on pure muscle without adding some fat. I recieve an extensive physical every year as part of my profession. Last year my bodyfat was 4.6%, this year (around August) it was 4.4%. This was done with calipers and was fairly extensive so I'm guessing for two years in a row in has to be somewhat accurate. I have always seemed to have this see-saw thing with adding lots of bulk. It seems that whenever I start hitting the calisthenics hard (let alone the weights) my back, lats and legs just blow up. This time I actually feel it in my shirts (kind of snug). As far as overall feeling though, I do feel somewhat slowed down and more fatigued with the added weight. I've never been one to pay attention to the numbers on the scale but when I'm at a lighter weight i.e. 155-160lbs, I feel and look leaner and perform so much better whether it be in my daily exericse routine or sports competition. You mentioned retraining muscles once I slimmed down. What is a smart way of slimming down and then retraining those muscles?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #57
Steven Low

Profile:

Stuff blowing up tends to be from excess cals so take that into consideration. That's a suprisingly low BF% though.. you sound like a pure mesomorph which many people would be glad to be.

Pretty much all strength work after you've slimmed down. Work your core lifts and then rings a lot, IMO. Maintain an isocaloric diet from here and you won't gain weight and get strong. You'll definitely lose strength as you lose muscle.. but then reduce the strength deficit again by doing mostly strength work. Your brain/CNS/muscles were used to having a lot of strength before, so it will be easier to bring it back up.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #58
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Anderson View Post
Steven, it is in fact mostly muscle with I'm sure some fat. I know I can't just put on pure muscle without adding some fat. I recieve an extensive physical every year as part of my profession. Last year my bodyfat was 4.6%, this year (around August) it was 4.4%. This was done with calipers and was fairly extensive so I'm guessing for two years in a row in has to be somewhat accurate. I have always seemed to have this see-saw thing with adding lots of bulk. It seems that whenever I start hitting the calisthenics hard (let alone the weights) my back, lats and legs just blow up. This time I actually feel it in my shirts (kind of snug). As far as overall feeling though, I do feel somewhat slowed down and more fatigued with the added weight. I've never been one to pay attention to the numbers on the scale but when I'm at a lighter weight i.e. 155-160lbs, I feel and look leaner and perform so much better whether it be in my daily exericse routine or sports competition. You mentioned retraining muscles once I slimmed down. What is a smart way of slimming down and then retraining those muscles?
leaner than 4.4% bf is preposterous.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #59
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Stuff blowing up tends to be from excess cals so take that into consideration. That's a suprisingly low BF% though.. you sound like a pure mesomorph which many people would be glad to be.

Pretty much all strength work after you've slimmed down. Work your core lifts and then rings a lot, IMO. Maintain an isocaloric diet from here and you won't gain weight and get strong. You'll definitely lose strength as you lose muscle.. but then reduce the strength deficit again by doing mostly strength work. Your brain/CNS/muscles were used to having a lot of strength before, so it will be easier to bring it back up.
Really, I am a true mesomorph in every sense of the word, I've never been skinny and I've never been fat. I have extemely dense muscle. Anybody and everybody that has ever tried to teach me how to float on water is always amazed how it is truly impossible for me to stay a float. I sink like a rock straight to the bottom in a matter of seconds. Seriously though, I put on muscle very easily but even with the added bulk I always have an extemely low BF. My physical this year actually surprised me becasue I thought that I defintatlely would have a higher BF% with the extra 10lbs of weight I put on. Not the case. I think one reason why it is so low is because of the immense metcon workouts I do. Would you suggest laying off the weights and calistenics and sticking to say, sprints, heavybag type work, jump roping and the such and then when I have trimmed down incorporate the O-lifts and ring work? What do you mean by isocaloric diet?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #60
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
leaner than 4.4% bf is preposterous.
Uh, ok. I did not purposely try to obtain such a low BF%. I work for a fire/rescue department and am on our Spec Ops team. We are required every year to go through an extensive physical, BF% calculation being one of the aspects of that physical. The last two years my BF% has been well under 5%. I have put on 10lbs of unwanted bulky muscle which I feel hinders my performance. I would much rather be at a more comfortable size, i.e. 155lbs160lbs (my normal weight) with a slightly higher BF%, say around 8-10%. If your using the word "preposterous" in a sense of my BF% being too low and unhealthy, I agree. But, if your using the word in another sense, you might want to check yourself, bro.