CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Sara Schroeder

Profile:
21 Weeks, 23 Pounds, & 13 Inches Later...

I've been doing Crossfit and the Zone for 21 weeks now and have gone from 158 pounds down to 135 pounds (I'm 5'8"), lost 6 1/2" from my waist, 4" from my hips, and 2 1/2" from my thighs. When I began I was wearing size 10 pants and pushing a size 12 and now I'm back into my size 6! I'm starting to see muscle definition, but would love to get that ripped look....advice on how to achieve this would be much appreciated! Maybe more Paleo?

But the best part is I can deadlift over 200 pounds, just did the Chief workout the other day and power cleaned 85# like it was nothing, can now do full-plank pushups, have seriously improved my squats (full-depth was really hard for me with my long legs!), have improved my 5K time by several minutes, and burpees don't scare me anymore! Still working on getting my first unassisted pull-up, but can do just about everything else Rx these days!

Wish I had before and after pics because it really has been a huge change. Can't wait to see what the next 21 weeks brings! 3-2-1 GO!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: 21 Weeks, 23 Pounds, & 13 Inches Later...

Paleo would probably help, yes. Cut out all high GI carbs EXCEPT right after you work out, eat a yam, or something. Insulin sensitivity helps.

Also, congrats.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Chris Scott

Profile:

Congratulations, Sara. That's awesome progress in such a short time.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Why would you want to change anything??? Start looking at other options when you plateau!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Why would you want to change anything??? Start looking at other options when you plateau!!
Good point! I need to work on my patience more than anything!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
That's a great rule of thumb, but being closer to paleo won't hurt. Make the changes gradual and ones that you're comfortable with. Can you cut out sugar, if you haven't already? Can you cut down/out grains comfortably? The right diet varies from person to person. You clearly have something that is working wonders for you. You can still tweak it to work better, but it has to work well for your life as well as your fitness and overall health.

Lastly, congratulations! That's a major success story.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
That's a great rule of thumb, but being closer to paleo won't hurt. Make the changes gradual and ones that you're comfortable with. Can you cut out sugar, if you haven't already? Can you cut down/out grains comfortably? The right diet varies from person to person. You clearly have something that is working wonders for you. You can still tweak it to work better, but it has to work well for your life as well as your fitness and overall health.

Lastly, congratulations! That's a major success story.
Patrick,
You are correct but I still say slow down - trying to be perfect in such a short amount of time can be discouraging and can also break you down mentally.

Sara,
Keep doing what you're doing. When you plateau in either body comp or performance in your workouts - you may want to change on your own...or you may not!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

Thanks for the advice! I probably will slow down on the weight loss, but hope to continue to lean out and get more muscle definition. I've been hitting major PR's in both the weight that I'm pulling and my times, so I haven't plateued performance-wise yet. I think I'll tweak it a bit to replace more fruit with vegetables and see what happens!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Patrick,
You are correct but I still say slow down - trying to be perfect in such a short amount of time can be discouraging and can also break you down mentally.

Sara,
Keep doing what you're doing. When you plateau in either body comp or performance in your workouts - you may want to change on your own...or you may not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Yates View Post
Thanks for the advice! I probably will slow down on the weight loss, but hope to continue to lean out and get more muscle definition. I've been hitting major PR's in both the weight that I'm pulling and my times, so I haven't plateued performance-wise yet. I think I'll tweak it a bit to replace more fruit with vegetables and see what happens!

No disagreement here. At those numbers, I'd guess (and that's all it is) that you probably don't need to lose weight at all. Lift heavy stuff, eat good food, and rest well and you'll continue to see improvements. You've made the difficult transition. Now you can focus on performance. The rest will take care of itself. There's a reason athletes look athletic. That's what bodies look like when they're adapted to doing something well. You know what top CFers look like. If you push hard at this sport, your body will adapt to perform for it and, if your diet is clean, will look it too.